Macan diesel S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Macman

Post by Macman »

This will be a bit controversial, but here goes.... the halogen lights are absolutely fine! :o They aren’t as bright as xenons and LEDs I assume, but having never had those, I’ve never been spoilt. Save yourself some money and don’t spoil yourself with fancy lights :lol:
Amazingly Porsche have not designed the halogen lights to be feeble and ineffective. For an urban dweller who rarely gets away from street lights anyway, they’re just as good as my BMW halogens and all the other halogen headlights I’ve had over the past 30 years.
Just trying to keep things in perspective for you and give the debate a bit of balance.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S

Pops123

Post by Pops123 »

hi all

much appreciate all the very informative replies..exactly what I was after!

Are you able to gleam standard halogen/xenon by looking at them?

with the bmw I was able to decode the vin to get a list of option. do Porsche have anything similar?

Also looked at the 4.2v8 diesel cayenne today..what a beast! another option to consider
VanB

Post by VanB »

Macman wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:19 pm This will be a bit controversial, but here goes.... the halogen lights are absolutely fine! :o They aren’t as bright as xenons and LEDs I assume, but having never had those, I’ve never been spoilt. Save yourself some money and don’t spoil yourself with fancy lights :lol:
Amazingly Porsche have not designed the halogen lights to be feeble and ineffective. For an urban dweller who rarely gets away from street lights anyway, they’re just as good as my BMW halogens and all the other halogen headlights I’ve had over the past 30 years.
Just trying to keep things in perspective for you and give the debate a bit of balance.
I think you are quite correct if you live in an urban area with street lighting but those of us who live in rural areas with unlit roads, deer, pot holes etc. the more light and the further you can see the better. Macan (and other marques) halogen lights are akin to having 2 candles at the front of your car by comparison to bi-xenons or better and having had LED lights I wouldn't go back to Xenons (but I am knocking on and my night vision isn't what it used to be). So in fairness it rather depends on where (and how much) you do your night time driving on whether there is any real benefit in upgrading the lights.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Pops123 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm hi all

with the bmw I was able to decode the vin to get a list of option. do Porsche have anything similar?

Also looked at the 4.2v8 diesel cayenne today..what a beast! another option to consider
Yes, the VIN will decode the build details.

An SE at a OPC will be able to give you a printout.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pops123 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm hi all

With xenon (or indeed LED) lights the daylight running lights give 4 individual spots of light. Halogens don’t give this distinguishing feature.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Macman

Post by Macman »

Eat more carrots, they’re cheaper than xenons :lol:

By the way, the 8 way seats are also very comfortable. We did a 5 hour non stop journey in them one day on the way back from Leipzig. Oops there I go again with my controversy...... :o

No ones ever mentioned auto dimming rear view mirrors. I’ve had those on loads of cars and prefer the manual dippers every time, far more effective.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Agree with the 8 way seats - personally I think they are great (but add memory pack)
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

I had Xenons on my previous BMW but only went for Halolgens on my current Merc and have always regretted it. So it will be Xenons as a minimum on my Macan when I order it.
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:03 pm Agree with the 8 way seats - personally I think they are great (but add memory pack)
Conversely after an hour driving an S which had 8 way seats I could hardly walk.

Most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in.

So please make your decisions based on what you need and find comfortable.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

To clarify I had 8 way seats in a GTS which I believe are different