Extended Warranty

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
noaksey

Post by noaksey »

Hi everyone

My Diesel S is approaching 3 years old having covered 38,000 faultless miles.

Porsche have written offering a further years warranty for £800.

What are your thoughts on this? Are there any third party warranty providers it would be worth looking at or indeed should I consider proceeding without a warranty?

All experiences and comments gratefully received

Paul

Post by Paul »

Don’t forget to factor in the “check” (101 points from memory) at £200 odd......

Ultimately it’s an insurance policy....risk / cost attitude is yours....but I probably will take it out, but at 2 yrs at the service and “negotiate” the inspection cost😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

My SD will be 3 years old in Sep and I will probably take out another two year warranty. This is despite the fact that I normally cover my own risks where possible!

@ Noaksey: Have you had the transfer box replaced? This seems to be the most common expensive (circa £3500) fault so far on earlier models - I had mine done earlier this year. If my transfer box hadn't already failed, I would definitely be taking out an extended warranty.

(And I will definitely be trying to negotiate out the inspection fee, or at the very least getting a free MOT!)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

My OPC gave me this information for a 2 year extension to the 3 year warranty:

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... typeriods/

£1715 including 2 years Porsche Assist.
Around £1400 without Porsche Assist.
If car over 12 months old then you have to pay for the 111 point check
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Spud

Post by Spud »

Paul wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm Don’t forget to factor in the “check” (101 points from memory) at £200 odd......

Ultimately it’s an insurance policy....risk / cost attitude is yours....but I probably will take it out, but at 2 yrs at the service and “negotiate” the inspection cost😉
Agree totally with Paul, personally I would take it out via Porsche at £800-00 that's only around £15-00 per week which on the face of it isn't bad for peace of mind, I would try and negotiate as like Paul said there's a service coming up
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Spud

Post by Spud »

Guy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:17 am My SD will be 3 years old in Sep and I will probably take out another two year warranty. This is despite the fact that I normally cover my own risks where possible!

@ Noaksey: Have you had the transfer box replaced? This seems to be the most common expensive (circa £3500) fault so far on earlier models - I had mine done earlier this year. If my transfer box hadn't already failed, I would definitely be taking out an extended warranty.

(And I will definitely be trying to negotiate out the inspection fee, or at the very least getting a free MOT!)
Not being a doom merchant Guy but there has been a case of more than one failure, I still think its worth the policy after 3 years but like you say a bit of negotiation
GTS Delivered April 2018
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I extended my warranty at just under a year old so I didn't need the 111 point check. I'd decided to keep my SD for over 3 years as I'd well over-specced at 67k (I wanted all the toys I liked) and so wanted to enjoy the benefits.

I thought the cost was reasonable with Porsche Assist and that gives me almost another 3 years of motoring with no worries, by which time it'll be on around 75k miles. I'm still benefiting from the cheaper road tax and I'm pre the £40k surcharge too, so no plans to change.

Given there's no Diesel on the market that I'd prefer over my SD I'll wait and see what Porsche offer with the Macan when the update is announced.

My car hasn't missed a beat and the only potential problem I can see could be the transfer box issue. I'm on 32k at the moment so touch wood, no problems so far.

Extended warranty is basically whether you want to self insure or not. For me, it's spot on.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Guy

Post by Guy »

Spud wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:13 am Not being a doom merchant Guy but there has been a case of more than one failure, I still think its worth the policy after 3 years but like you say a bit of negotiation
Yes I suppose it's still a worry! Mine failed earlier this year at just 11500 miles. I suspect that they are failing after a period of time, rather than a certain mileage. Perhaps a seal is drying out - I think something along these lines was alluded to in one of the transfer box threads.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I'm definitely in the 'having a Porsche warranty camp', but do make sure you don't hang the wrong type of air freshener off the rear view mirror, as they do like a get-out clause, so I understand?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Spud

Post by Spud »

nsm3 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 am I'm definitely in the 'having a Porsche warranty camp', but do make sure you don't hang the wrong type of air freshener off the rear view mirror, as they do like a get-out clause, so I understand?
:lol: :lol:
GTS Delivered April 2018