18 Way Seats

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

For anyone deciding whether or not to pay the extra for 18 way seats, perhaps our experience may be helpfull.

We decided that 18 way seats were the best suited to us, I am 5' 10" of med. build and my wife 5' 4" of slight build.

We have just returned from an eight month break in Spain, driving there and back over three days in each direction, doing about 400 miles a day with one or two stops. Each of us found that after about eight hours a day driving or passengering, we got out, stood up as normal with absolutely no discomfort whatsover. A credit to the car seats and completely justified the extra cost.

VanB

Post by VanB »

Different seats suit different people as the side bolsters on 18 way seats for some are too big. I found that the 8 way seats in my GTS were very comfortable and never had any discomfort but others have not fared so well. Col Lamb's advice is spot on when he says to try all of the different options to see what works best for you.

BTW pleased that they are so good for you.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice to hear from you again Boreas7! Glad you are enjoying Valencia (and the commute!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

boreas7 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 pm For anyone deciding whether or not to pay the extra for 18 way seats, perhaps our experience may be helpfull.

We decided that 18 way seats were the best suited to us, I am 5' 10" of med. build and my wife 5' 4" of slight build.

We have just returned from an eight month break in Spain, driving there and back over three days in each direction, doing about 400 miles a day with one or two stops. Each of us found that after about eight hours a day driving or passengering, we got out, stood up as normal with absolutely no discomfort whatsover. A credit to the car seats and completely justified the extra cost.
+1 We did a similar trip last year with identical conclusions. I would add that Mrs D has a chronic back condition and is still suffering from post-stroke fatigue but had nothing but praise for the seats, ride and overall experience that the Macan delivers: a major factor in our choice.
Yes the bolster can appear high but with the seats at their lowest it really is not that much of an issue.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I think the 18 ways offer more comfort due to the fact that whilst driving if you become uncomfortable you have more of a chance to find a better position, I constantly change my seat position, sometimes day after day, remarkable that I found the driving position/seats/ of the cayman/ Boxster to be comfortable for short journeys , apart from the side bolsters digging into my back. I do think the 18 ways possibly helps resale .
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

8 way non GTS for me are very, very uncomfortable with no lumber support, no adjustable squab, and a flat seat back.

18 way are comfortable but grip you like a vice, the range of adjustments gives the flexibility if getting as close to an ideal comfort position as any seat can. Once set and assigned to memory you will probably not need to change it. The downsides are it can be too snug a fit between the bolsters for some and the high squab bolster means getting in and out can be problematic for back sufferers and people of small build, conversely people of large build may feel as though they are perched on top of the seats.

14 way offer a great range of adjustments but lower rear and squab bolsters so they have all the benefits of 18 way except the snug fit. Personally for me with my trashed back they are supremely comfortable, I find the 18 way to much of a tight fit and the rear bolsters put pressure exactly where I do not want there to be pressure, I have always backed off the bolsters whenever I drive an 18 way but even then its not enough, but that is me.

Hence my advice is as always test drive the different seats to find the one that is right for you and then once you decide on the seating have an extended test drive of a Macan with the seats, suspension and wheel size you intend to specify, the longer the drive the better.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:01 pm
The downsides are it can be too snug a fit between the bolsters for some and the high squab bolster means getting in and out can be problematic for back sufferers and people of small build, conversely people of large build may feel as though they are perched on top of the seats.
The fit is only too snug if the bolsters are set that way - unless, of course, you are bigger than the widest settings. :?

It’s always going to be what suits each individual best but, for me, the variety of adjustments offered by the 18s can only be a benefit. Not only do we wear different clothes throughout the year which effectively changes the fit of the seat but our bodies change over the course a day. For example, we actually become gradually shorter as the day progresses so surely the seat needs to accommodate such changes.

As per a previous comment I regularly adjust as needs must.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am
The downsides are it can be too snug a fit between the bolsters for some and the high squab bolster means getting in and out can be problematic for back sufferers and people of small build, conversely people of large build may feel as though they are perched on top of the seats.
The fit is only too snug if the bolsters are set that way - unless, of course, you are bigger than the widest settings. :?

It’s always going to be what suits each individual best but, for me, the variety of adjustments offered by the 18s can only be a benefit. Not only do we wear different clothes throughout the year which effectively changes the fit of the seat but our bodies change over the course a day. For example, we actually become gradually shorter as the day progresses so surely the seat needs to accommodate such changes.

Are you suggesting I have a fat ass Mike :lol:

Arthritis in my hips means I need to be able to move around in my seat to keep comfortable and I cannot do that with the high seat squab bolsters of the 18 way even with them slackened off as far as they go.

An old broken rib injury in my back means that again the large 18 way seat back bolsters put pressure on the old injury.

The old body is a wreck, but at least the 14 way are by far the best compromise for me.

Its not a case of 14 way are best and this is what I suggest, its a case of just because there are more adjustments it does mot mean the 18 way are better than the 14 way.

What matters is that the driver is comfortable so its a case of choosing what is right for you.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 am
Dandock wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am

Are you suggesting I have a fat ass Mike :lol:

Arthritis in my hips means I need to be able to move around in my seat to keep comfortable and I cannot do that with the high seat squab bolsters of the 18 way even with them slackened off as far as they go.

An old broken rib injury in my back means that again the large 18 way seat back bolsters put pressure on the old injury.

The old body is a wreck, but at least the 14 way are by far the best compromise for me.

Its not a case of 14 way are best and this is what I suggest, its a case of just because there are more adjustments it does mot mean the 18 way are better than the 14 way.

What matters is that the driver is comfortable so its a case of choosing what is right for you.
Absolutely Col. As I did say 'It’s always going to be what suits each individual best..' I have an old squash injury to my lower back so any available adjustment that relate to that are always going to be benefit. My hips aren't getting any easier either! :roll:

Its beginning to sound like a SAGA forum! :o
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 am As per a previous comment I regularly adjust as needs must.
I'm the same, always playing around with seat positions just for a change. I'm lucky that I don't have any back issues or other physical disabilities. But sitting in one spot for any length of time is not good for you, so I find subtle changes in posture (and hence seat adjustment to suit) are helpful.