Macan GTS - 2000 miles - Reflections

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Semerka wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:47 pm It is a heavy SUV after all, there's no getting away from that. ;-)

I have been toying with the idea to swap the Macan for a small coupe of some sort. But then I remember the rather rutted country car parks where we take our dog and how easy it is to keep the dog and associated mud/sand contained in the back. So sticking with the Macan for now. :lol:
Yeah, I'm totally with you on that. This is what I keep coming back to.

I wish someone made a proper 4x4 that was incredibly off road capable and was modern but not primitive. Something that you could just about spray out and not worry too much about because it was designed to take a beating.

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Tom 2000 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm
alxgb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:20 pm
VanB wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 pm Your thoughts on the car are identical to mine and I also found it far too easy to go too quickly. Very quickly learnt not to use comfort mode (20" on air) and kept it in sport and sport + all the time.

Totally agree with Nick about the difference in perception of speed between the Macan and the 911 and also with your assertion that it's a great car but not special.

I would definitely have another one if I ever had a need for a mid-size sporty SUV but would probably go Turbo PP if that were the case. For now I am very happy with the C4 GTS which keeps surprising me with just how good it is.
Yeah, I think I'll replace it with a GTS but a 911. I need to prove the case for fitting the dog.
You need this. https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/2013-peu ... 1295856315
And a 911.
You're gonna laugh at me but I really want one of these as a 'dog car'. We wouldn't go more than 20 miles so as long as ride quality wasn't terrible, the concept of lightness and narrow tyres fits what a go anywhere 4x4 should do. Insurance I had quoted at £105 which made me think I had misheard the broker.

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm Have to admit I’m not a fan of air suspension, especially in the Macan GTS, pre purchase I did think you are buying the GTS for a more sporty feel, and in my opinion the air robbed the car of that feeling, my Silverstone day was with a GTS ( air ) I immediately detected that there was a difference, and a quick look at the console confirmed my suspicion. I currently am driving in sports + mode and in no way I would call the GTS hard/ firm / uncomfortable. All Porsche’s I have driven have great damping. I wouldn’t really call it heavy by suv standards, or a larger saloon. I suspect all the extras we pile on have a detrimental effect of weight and handling. In fact I have just removed my emergency wheel from the car... it must be 20kgs at least. If you want a sports car it might be just to refined to fit that the bill. And I too find myself driving more quickly than normal... Porcshe please bring out a head up display!!
I find it amusing that the first thing the salesman said to me was that a sunroof was mandatory for resale. I don't know what the glass unit weighs but it has to be a few hundred kilograms situated at the worst position for dynamics. I'll be honest, I feel the roads where we are like I don't have tyres on some of the other cars I have. Really makes me appreciate the level of damping that the GTS has.

What I find maddening is that the GTS is the category benchmark yet it doesn't have a number of features, even as options, like HUD. I appreciate it's their ethos to charge you for any extra but wonder if it's also an ethos to not distract you from 'the drive'. I can't see any other reason for its exclusion across the range.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:32 pm
alxgb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

That’s how I felt about my Macan and in the end was the reason I got rid of it. Fortunate that you have other cars in the fleet that are special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm being picky but I've been fortunate in having had the opportunity to drive and own some amazing cars. I can justify keeping it because it can take the dog but when it goes back to the dealer for the PDK gear lever to be replaced, I suspect I'll leave it with them.

:shock: Leave it with them while they replace the gear lever, or leave it with them......?!
Yes, sell it back. Depends on the price and depends on whether I can persuade my wife to let it go as she loves it.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

That’s how I felt about my Macan and in the end was the reason I got rid of it. Fortunate that you have other cars in the fleet that are special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm being picky but I've been fortunate in having had the opportunity to drive and own some amazing cars. I can justify keeping it because it can take the dog but when it goes back to the dealer for the PDK gear lever to be replaced, I suspect I'll leave it with them.

:shock: Leave it with them while they replace the gear lever, or leave it with them......?!
Or perhaps leave the dog with them?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

alxgb wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am
Tom 2000 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:59 pm
alxgb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Yeah, I think I'll replace it with a GTS but a 911. I need to prove the case for fitting the dog.
You need this. https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/2013-peu ... 1295856315
And a 911.
You're gonna laugh at me but I really want one of these as a 'dog car'. We wouldn't go more than 20 miles so as long as ride quality wasn't terrible, the concept of lightness and narrow tyres fits what a go anywhere 4x4 should do. Insurance I had quoted at £105 which made me think I had misheard the broker.

I love the RR style wheels.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 am

Or perhaps leave the dog with them?
I'd leave the GT cars ahead of the dog Nick!
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Dog, sweet as she is, spoils the twisties for me too, having to hold back so she doesnt leave me a present ;)
Last edited by Orangebulldog on Thu May 17, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

alxgb wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 am
alxgb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:18 pm I'm being picky but I've been fortunate in having had the opportunity to drive and own some amazing cars. I can justify keeping it because it can take the dog but when it goes back to the dealer for the PDK gear lever to be replaced, I suspect I'll leave it with them.
Yes, sell it back. Depends on the price and depends on whether I can persuade my wife to let it go as she loves it.
I shall follow developments with interest, Alex! :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Orangebulldog wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 pm Dog, sweet as she is, spoils the twisties for me too, having to hold back so she doesnt leave me a present ;)
:lol: