Macan GTS - new owner reflections...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

alxgb wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am
Wing Commander wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm A guy with a 991.2 GTS on the Rennlist forum had similar problems with his front PCCBs, which from memory have 410mm discs, so larger discs than the PCCBs on the 991.1.

He went to the extreme of buying brand new after-market wheels which resulted in a larger gap between calipers and the inner wheel barrel! :shock:

Perhaps I was right to skip the PCCBs on my Carrera T after all. ;)
It's a known problem Simon. I remember the post. It was funny, I went into the dealer and I got the 'we've never seen this before' line so I invited them to walk the parking lot and found two GT4s. There was one in for a 2 year service that had done 180miles (FFS) and then another on 3,000 both with ceramics. Both were scratched. The 180 mile car not as badly but the 3000 mile car, different but the same.

I put ceramics on the RS reluctantly and because I felt it was appropriate for the car. Interested to see if tungsten carbide brakes or PSCB make it into the GT cars next but if they're proven on the new Cayenne Turbo S, they must have some stopping power, it's just the unsprung weight difference that isn't clear. They look very purposeful and no brake dust from them either.

What I don't understand is why there aren't a bunch of hacked off owners having a go at Porsche for a fix on the wheel issue. People seem to just be accepting of this as a cost of ownership. That or they're not driving the cars or haven't noticed the problem. I took out alloy/tyre insurance which is a con on the basis of repairing the wheel because it's a design flaw that can't be solved and I'll run out of lives on the policy and still be left with a flaw.

I agree completely, Alex. :geek: Either Porsche need to reduce the diameter of the 410mm front discs, or they need differently designed/constructed wheels to offer a bigger gap between calipers and inner wheel barrel. I reckon that most (but not all) recent cars with PCCBs don't do much mileage, so maybe not many owners have fully realised the inherent design flaw... :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

jamieo

Post by jamieo »

No problems with PCCB and wheel spacing on the Boxster. It’s done 83k now and all been fine.

I just hate brake dust, dirty wheels and cleaning them! 😂
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

jamieo wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 pm No problems with PCCB and wheel spacing on the Boxster. It’s done 83k now and all been fine.

I just hate brake dust, dirty wheels and cleaning them! 😂
It sounds like you need to retain a detailer on staff! :lol: