Under the bonnet 400 Horses and 1 err?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Thanks for all the comments and advice, the ultrasonic unit looks like the right solution and the e bay supplied replacement is definetely a bargain ( porsche is £97 ). When my wife's VW GTI got it we thought it was a squirrel as there was no evidence of droppings just some nutshell fragments and I blamed her for not using the car frequently enough 😒 However mine is used most days and the culprit was a field mouse ( droppings on head cover) both are kept outside. Have been working on the car that I keep inside and no evidence of any visitors there. Just one of the trials of living in the countryside, that along with cycling clubs 😖 Must get a cat and a gunshot horn 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

MikeM wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 pm ... Must get a cat and a gunshot horn 😉
😂👌
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Nosmo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:44 pm
Ian.g wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm When we first move to Worcester with young children, my wife found a hole in the towel she took to the gym. We assumed it had somehow got caught in the door of the washing machine when it spun. Until she found a shredded disposable nappy (kept as a spare) in the glove box. That was when we realised that she had a mouse in the car. So we set some traps - spring loaded in the boot and live capture in the back of the car (otherwise the children would have set them off with their fingers/feet) and waited. And waited. It took 6 weeks before the culprit eventually wandered into the live capture trap on the floor in the back. She let it out down the garden and had no further problems. I don't think it damaged anything of any importance as the car worked well until we sold it a few years later.
Industrial strenth rat poison takes a couple of days and is guaranteed to work. A handfull (don't use your hands, clearly :o ) of pallets on top of the engine tea tray, every time you park up. By the time it stops being eaten, you know that the culprit won't come back. Harsh but fair. I now expect to be chastised for killing vermin :shock:
Your misspelling has made me chuckle. Did you use a fork lift to get the pallets into the engine compartment? Not much room for the rats with all those pellets. :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

On-Track wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 am
Nosmo wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:44 pm
Ian.g wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm When we first move to Worcester with young children, my wife found a hole in the towel she took to the gym. We assumed it had somehow got caught in the door of the washing machine when it spun. Until she found a shredded disposable nappy (kept as a spare) in the glove box. That was when we realised that she had a mouse in the car. So we set some traps - spring loaded in the boot and live capture in the back of the car (otherwise the children would have set them off with their fingers/feet) and waited. And waited. It took 6 weeks before the culprit eventually wandered into the live capture trap on the floor in the back. She let it out down the garden and had no further problems. I don't think it damaged anything of any importance as the car worked well until we sold it a few years later.
Industrial strenth rat poison takes a couple of days and is guaranteed to work. A handfull (don't use your hands, clearly :o ) of pallets on top of the engine tea tray, every time you park up. By the time it stops being eaten, you know that the culprit won't come back. Harsh but fair. I now expect to be chastised for killing vermin :shock:
Your misspelling has made me chuckle. Did you use a fork lift to get the pallets into the engine compartment? Not much room for the rats with all those pellets. :lol:
Didn't you ever see the miniature ones :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Reviving an old thread of mine, last time we had this pesky pest problem was 2018, where they really liked the taste of under bonnet insulation. ( see original post ) Looks like my current Macan has a different material but they seem very happy to nest down in the oil cap indent. This time no damage done. Going to have to check more frequently.

E698AE80-6E48-4633-9580-1015FF922515.jpeg

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

MikeM wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:42 pm Reviving an old thread of mine, last time we had this pesky pest problem was 2018, where they really liked the taste of under bonnet insulation. ( see original post ) Looks like my current Macan has a different material but they seem very happy to nest down in the oil cap indent. This time no damage done. Going to have to check more frequently.
E698AE80-6E48-4633-9580-1015FF922515.jpeg
Damn things! Not a great deal you can really do about it either, other than checking frequently as you say.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Leave a cat under the bonnet? Or if you’re posh, in the garage.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:10 pm Leave a cat under the bonnet? Or if you’re posh, in the garage.
Take it the car will need to be in the garage with the cat?
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Years ago my old man bought a Yamaha Dragstar - the garage hadn't had a motor in it for about 10 years so was just push bikes, tools, a workbench and usual garage debris. Anyway - the first time he fired that thing up in the garage it was like a reverse Pied Piper as god knows how many mice shot out from their hiding places and ran out of the garage as quick as they could.

So, if all else fails - you could always try a 650cc V-twin, available at all good hardware stores near you.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Rarecolour wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:40 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:10 pm Leave a cat under the bonnet? Or if you’re posh, in the garage.
Take it the car will need to be in the garage with the cat?
I thought cats could cause of some serious bodywork damage.....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP