Braking more.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Since my short time with my GTS, covered in another post was the issue of driving faster due to the height and sublime quietness in the cabin. I have noticed that due to this I am braking more as my closing distance is happening more quickly, and I’m not use to it , I came from from a 640d and used to lift off the accelerator early and coast and then gently apply the brakes to come to a stop... Iv been trying this with the Macan and have found that I can lift off far far earlier in the GTS, it seems to coast for ever, Im sure I’ll get use to it, but at the moment it’s a big learning curve... although irrelevant my average Mpg is 28 after a total of 380 miles, I’m expecting this to rise further after the engine is older and I have learnt to coast better... does anyone else use this method of driving? Ie lifting early?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

Col M

Post by Col M »

Yes do keep an eye on when the coast (engine decouple) function kicks in.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
brains1900

Post by brains1900 »

I too try to avoid the brakes and have been known to flick the right paddle to start coasting early. I guess my driving style will change when we are all electric!
Mike and his Macan

Sorry I had no idea about this function, does it mean whilst costing the engine is decoupled from the drive chain ( in order to save fuel?) how do you know it’s kicking in? Thanks. The other thing I have noticed that is very different is I tend to use very little throttle ( ex diesel driver tactic) when excelerating, and find myself in 7th doing 40, so always need to semi kick down when wanting to speed up a bit more quickly.... all a learning curve I guess , although I haven’t tried sports mode yet.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

You will notice when in coast mode that the RPM drops to tick over but you are still doing your normal speed albeit slowing slightly
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Mike and his Macan

Thanks
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

I found myself braking all the time too in the beginning, and thus constantly switching between accelerator and brakes. You do get used to it, but its not to my liking. Nowadays, I have the coasting function disabled all the time (start-stop OFF button), and all is well. :)
Last edited by Orangebulldog on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I coasted for what seemed like about 10 miles on a long downhill section of the A30 recently. Fuel consumption hit EV levels!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6