How to remove center wheel cap?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Hi... looking to Gtechnic the centre wheel caps, and the inside bit , is there a special tool I need ? Thanks
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

happy days

Post by happy days »

Take the wheel off and with the handle of a hammer, tap them out from the rear.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Do read the manual on how to remove a wheel, there is a peg to use to help slide off the wheel so it does not catch the caliper, the peg also helps in getting the damn heavy wheel back on without damaging the wheel.

Tip, do wrap some electrical insulation tape around the socket head so that it does not damage the recess, also use a tissue between the wheel nut and the socket to avoid scratching the wheel nut.

OK so I admit it, I can be a bit OCD.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
964steve

Post by 964steve »

Also I suggest to put a cloth on the brake caliper if removing the wheel to avoid scratching it, even when using the peg (which is a must). If you do take the wheel off then prepare to have to kick pretty hard from behind as it will likely be seized on with corrosion. If you kick hard enough it will come off but make sure the jack is sturdy and I used another wheel under the car to give me a safety space in case of the worst. I was swapping winter summer wheels hence why I had a spare available.
When putting back on use some of the approved grease just where the handbook shows and next time you need to take them off no kicking is necessary.
I attach a socket wound in masking tape to my cordless drill and can have the wheels swapped over now in about 30 mins.
The centre caps push out very easily once the wheel is off.
I think more important than the sealant on them though is to avoid giving them full blast from a jet washer as three are too many edges around the logo.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

IMG_1599.PNG

I got a couple of these to fit in the small holes in the cap. Put one in each hole, manoeuvre and simply pull off ( oooohh vicar!!!) They were a little wide at the ends so I simply filed them down a little :D
Mike and his Macan

Thanks all .... I think I’ll try the pins , taking the wheels off sounds like a major operation 😳...
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Just use two small alan keys and grip them with a pair of players in each hand. Dead easy as there are little holes in the centre caps to insert the alan keys. They then just pop out
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

I use 2 steel meat skewers with the ends bent over about 80 degrees.
( I like the sound of the 2 small allen keys though....Didn't think of that.)
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm Thanks all .... I think I’ll try the pins , taking the wheels off sounds like a major operation 😳...
Taking the wheels off would be better so you could treat the whole wheel

It would also give you the chance to spray the hub with ACF50.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

That is a good point :roll: .. thinking of I might get it done by a detailer ... more money, got to love this site πŸ™ƒ