Off on a Low Loader Today

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

There seem to be a few more of these popping up!

Can I please suggest you speak, at length, to your Porsche service team? Mine were exemplary in explaining how these diesels, Euro 6 with DPFs (I don't think your old BMW was Euro 6), actually work. It isn't enough to regularly give your car a "blast". There is a whole process the car goes through for DPF regen. In fact, it won't do one at your command, it will do it when the onboard systems detect a build up and then, only then, will it do it. Therefore, if you're giving it a blast this won't necessarily mean it will be going through the regen. Ordinarily, the passive regen occurs through daily driving assuming those driving conditions fit the diesel....ie long trips where the car's temp would be up to levels needed for the passive regen to happen.

I swapped out of my diesel into a petrol at 1100 miles due to this. You got waaaaaay further than I did! BUT...I love the petrol S. Awesome piece of kit. Thirsty if you thrash its nuts off but who does that??!! LOL! Anyway, best of luck and, again, really speak to the service guys to give you an in depth rundown on this.

G

Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Thanks for your comments. The car was driveable and I filled it with fuel whilst in limp mode hoping that it may have made a difference and cleared the fault. However, when I spoke to the OPC, they advised not to drive and call Porsche Assist as it as it may cause further damage to the DPF if driven any distance. He also said that the DPF can be considered to be a consumable and not part of the warranty! Had we been aware of these issues we wouldn't have entertained the Macan and probably stayed with BMW or Mercedes and gone for a smaller petrol engine. Yes, the Macan petrol models are great but thirsty and I have a 981 Cayman S if I want to go thrashing! My wife has emailed the MD of Porsche UK Alexander.Pollich@porsche.co.uk in the hope that the matter will be escalated and for some long term assurance that the matter will be resolved. We don't want to have to go through a process to regen the DPF, we are not Chemists or Scientists, we just want to drive a reliable family car! Interestingly, the service technician who used to be with Audi until 12 months ago said there was never any issue with their V6 diesel units are basically the same. They did however have DPF issues with their 2.0 litre diesel units. He feels it is a Porsche software issue brought about by the VW diesel scandal!
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ah, that makes sense. Strange that they wanted it trailered to Porsche but at least that gets you to the front of the queue to get it fixed, apparently. Their comment about DPF/Warranty is bizarre especially considering the mileage!

My SD is coming up to three years old and I have not had DPF problems, but then I rarely use it for journeys of less than an hour. My neighbour has a Q7 diesel (same engine?) and seems to do about 20 short 'school-run' type journeys each day in hers without problems.
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Cheers Guy. It was their call on trailering to the OPC. As Porsche will probably say you are using the car for what it was designed for and we are clearly not! We managed to regen the DPF about six months ago without issue but no such look this time. As great as the car is, I wish I had my old BMW back. It just did what it said on the tin. There was a swirl flap issue with their straight six diesel engines dropping in to combustion chambers but I had them removed and the car never missed a beat!

525d M-Sport.jpg

2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

The ex Audi technician is talking rubbish. A mate of mine had an Audi A7 with the 3 lyrics lump , and had loads of DPF issues.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Of course some of us had the recall 'WG22 - DME reprogramming' that was supposed to 'optimise the exhaust system behaviour at low temperature'. Mine was done in September last year, and presumably new cars came with the mod already incorporated. Maybe this simply made the engine (and DPF) more sensitive to the short journey usage case. This would also explain the former-Audi technician's earlier experience.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Gazoak, having been in your situation before, emailing Porsche UK gets you nowhere. I did it. I even registered a complaint - no one reverts unless the car grows arms and legs and physically grips your throat!!

The first approach is to speak directly to the Porsche center from where you bought the car. You need to explain to them, essentially, that this idea of the car controlling your approach to driving just because it's diesel won't suit your situation (this is all presupposing you want to change). If you're interested into swapping into another Porsche, they could go some way into negotiating an exit and it is them who take up the torch with Porsche UK. You need to develop this sort of approach. Otherwise, you're flying solo into VW. Best of luck there!

Because I really liked the Macan, Porsche offered me a swap into a petrol from a diesel and ate some of their margin (in fact a lot). My driving circumstances are different to your's and others' as well but I found that the diesel works if your driving style matches it. Personally, the software stuff you hear is a red herring. My Porsche center, when confronted with that line said they acknowledged the update but no one can attribute an issue SOLELY to that update.

At the end, if you're genuinely unhappy with the car, it's a negotiation.

G