Porsche Experience - 15/8

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Trikster

Post by Trikster »

Just wondering if anyone else will be up there...

Having only done the 'experience' when buying Boxsters/911s be interesting to see how the Macan one pans out - looking forward to trying it in the mucky stuff hopefully.

Then spending the next day blatting the Spyder round Bedford - not going to be a bad couple of days...
2015 Macan SD
2016 Cayman GT4
2010 Boxster Spyder

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

From what I can gather you do not get to go off road. Think you do all the usual stuff eg ice hill in the Macan and then finish the experience on the track in a 911.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I had a Porsche experience day after buying my Boxster - it was a great day. The instructor also took myself and wife over the lumpy stuff in a Cayenne.
I would love to have a go on the track in a Macan to see how it compares to the Boxster.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Trikster

Post by Trikster »

Well had a great morning up at Silverstone. Between the great food had 2.5 hours in the Macan Turbo.

Took me a while to adjust, I'm used to driving on track but it took a while to get my head around driving the Macan in a similar fashion, it just did not seem natural the speed it could carry through the corners. Ok, more body roll than the Spyder but, once used to it a car you could really hustle.

Did a few launch controls, something this big does not deserve to accelerate like that, ok probably won't use in the real world after showing it off to a few mates, but incredible none the less.

On the dynamic handling figure of 8 the ability to hold a tight curve at over 25mph was eye opening too.

Towards the end of the session my instructor, Mark, asked if I wanted to take something a bit more sporty out, but instead I asked him to take me round as a passenger to see what the Macan could do in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Well, that was an experience I'll never forget. At no point did I feel that the car was out of control, but the speed and direction changes were incredible. By that time in the session most folks had the confidence to press on in what ever they were driving, but we were passing the Boxster's, and, apart from on the straights, hustling the 991 Turbo S....

Not a bad start to a great couple of days, finished off by using too much petrol, tyres and brakes blatting the Spyder around Bedford Aerodrome on Saturday- plan to try the Macan out there next year too....Trikster2014-08-17 19:41:04
2015 Macan SD
2016 Cayman GT4
2010 Boxster Spyder
Salty

Post by Salty »

Well had a great morning up at Silverstone. Between the great food had 2.5 hours in the Macan Turbo.

Took me a while to adjust, I'm used to driving on track but it took a while to get my head around driving the Macan in a similar fashion, it just did not seem natural the speed it could carry through the corners. Ok, more body roll than the Spyder but, once used to it a car you could really hustle.

Did a few launch controls, something this big does not deserve to accelerate like that, ok probably won't use in the real world after showing it off to a few mates, but incredible none the less.

wow! Sounds fantastic! I had such a good day down there in a Boxster. I would love to see what a Macan Turbo can do.
On the dynamic handling figure of 8 the ability to hold a tight curve at over 25mph was eye opening too.

Towards the end of the session my instructor, Mark, asked if I wanted to take something a bit more sporty out, but instead I asked him to take me round as a passenger to see what the Macan could do in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Well, that was an experience I'll never forget. At no point did I feel that the car was out of control, but the speed and direction changes were incredible. By that time in the session most folks had the confidence to press on in what ever they were driving, but we were passing the Boxster's, and, apart from on the straights, hustling the 991 Turbo S....

Not a bad start to a great couple of days, finished off by using too much petrol, tyres and brakes blatting the Spyder around Bedford Aerodrome on Saturday- plan to try the Macan out there next year too....
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Fox Terrier

Post by Fox Terrier »

I was at Silverstone on Friday morning also. Totally awesome day, got to drive the macan Diesel in black (handy as is my spec). Also got to drive a few laps and launch control in a canary yellow boxster S as your not allowed off road. Then spent a couple of hours viewing the afternoon session and some testing on the Silverstone race track from the roof. We're you driving the graphite grey macan as that looked fabulous but so did the white macan. The turbo downstairs caused me some angst as the carbon side inserts looked great but I'm in the camp of trying to stop changing the spec as the configurator became a daily fix.
Trikster

Post by Trikster »

Yep, was in the grey one - i also caused a bit of angst for them as had them scrabbling around to get power to the one inside, so i could hear the Burmester; and then got quite a few looks as the guy turned it up to 11

Bit of shame we couldn't take them off road though - mine will be getting it's wheels (lightly) dirty...
2015 Macan SD
2016 Cayman GT4
2010 Boxster Spyder
wd18

Post by wd18 »

Hi everyone, i've been at Silverstone a few times an also at Millbrook before the Silverstone facility was available. It is a great day. The food is great, the driving is fantastic, indeed everything is brilliant.

The thing that always amazes me when driving Porches are the brakes. This includes the Macan. I have just been on a test drive plus doing the usual jump on the breaks exercises at 100mph and I am still here. I think the major factor that will give you the confidence to drive the Macan rapidly is its ability to stop. I have owned a number of 4x4's in the past and indeed my wife has a new Touraeg (which is also great) and the main difference between them and the Macan are the breaks. Porsche should make more of this in the sales pitch rather then try and convince everyone you are driving a "Big Cayman" which you are not. What do you think?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFXNH8P8
dereksharpuk

Post by dereksharpuk »

You mean to say that one cannot take the Macan off road??? Why on earth not!! Is that not the point of it? If I had wanted a track day car I would have purchased a GT3 Confused< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
White diesel Macan, Arrived early Dec 14
wd18

Post by wd18 »

You can take the Macan off road, but that's not the point, everything is a compromise. You can also take on the track. But that is also not the pointConfused Most Macan owners will not take the car off road or on the track. I have never taken any of my previous Porsche's on the track. No doubt you have your reasons for buying the Macan at this time. Mine are that it is difficult to get the wife and the two dugs in the Boxster at the same time. A 911 would to the trick but I don't have the cash at preset. Cry
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFXNH8P8