New to be member - advice on purchase please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Hello all,

As per my hello post in the newbie area.

Im close to pulling the trigger on a used Macan S pdk.

It will replace my missus's Rr sport as her daily driver - as I have recently bought a Boxster S and i will be stealing her RR sport in the winter so I need to get her something for her 40 mile round trip to work and back. Plus occasional weekend use, when we need space for the family.

Please have a look at the link and let me have opinions on the spec and price, I have seen it and driven it and it is pretty clean with very few scuffs and not obvious damage.
The last service was at 17k miles, which was 12 months and 11k miles ago, so it will need another in around 11 months time.
it does have Air suspension too which isnt in the ad.
The only downside I noticed, was squeaky closing on the tailgate but I tried a couple of others that did the same thing.

https://www.prestigecarsofessex.co.uk/p ... ex-6322068

So let me know your opinions, good or bad i can take it :D

Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Edit - just seen the post re macan recalls and Porsche not selling the diesels anymore - should i be taking notice of this stuff?
Or if i like the car and the price is good then buy it and stop being paranoid?

I hate fake news :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome!
Nice looking car, plenty of spec too and well priced.
Take no notice of diesel naysayers - the “ recall” is by no means mandatory and provided you are doing “diesel” mileage ie around 12-15 K per annum you should have no issues. The DPF clogging you may read about only happens when the car is regularly driven on short stop / start journey. If you get the oil up to temp and drive the car for a good while thereafter you will be fine.
Sqeaky tailgate might just need a bit of silicone spray on the struts...
Good luck👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Ive looked at lower mile models for around 4 to 5 k more but i cant see the point in paying that much more to get a car that hasnt been driven as much.

I'm hoping Mrs Wilpert will be in credit with the fuel costs too, at present she's doing 60quid a week in the beast of a range rover but thats returning just 22.4 mpg which we know is not great.
Hoping we can get it down to around 40 quid a week. which wont pay for the new ride of course but it makes it a bit more painless.
Also freeing up the RR for my use in winter will save the legs on my Boxster S which ATM has very low mileage that i want to keep under 10k a year.

Decisions, decisions eh:)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome to this Forum.

I have an SD and have done just 6,600 miles in the first year from new. Usage is key to trouble free motoring it's no good If you just do mainly slow speed commuting / town driving most days of the week. I don't live in a town and only use my Macan for trips over 10 miles and ensure that engine gets and stays hot.

I have not had to top up the Ad Blue so far amd have had no warning notices.

The spec of the one you sent the link to looks good. Bi-Xenon or LED lights are essential for fast nigjt time driving. Make sure you find the seats are comfortable on a long drive. The speed sign recognition is a good thing, as the car can be deceptive in its speed attainment. Heated seats are also deirable (but not needed just now!!)

My average since new is 36.4 mpg.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Sorry but I for one will advise, steer clear of diesel Macans.

In fact steer clear of any diesel in the VAG group.

It is simply not worth the potential problems of these questionable engines.

The SD that I had only averaged 33 mpg, that is actual mpg and not the fictional mpg that shows on the MFD which is probably showing at least 10% more than actual.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I'm with Col, look out a petrol Macan and the much sweeter engine will convince you. Add to that all bad VAG diesel publicity and DPF problems have been reported here a few times on what is really a very small forum membership. The fact Porsche has stopped building diesel Macans doesn't help people's attitudes either.

On a forum such as this you will get petrol drivers supporting their choice and diesel drivers doing the same for their models. This is obviously all about opinions but the matters I me they are pretty factual and would be enough to put me off.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Wilpert, I’ve had both the Diesel and Petrol Macan and both are without doubt exceptional cars, the torque on the Diesel is brilliant but at the mileage you mention I would seriously consider the Petrol choice, my SD averaged around 33mpg the Petrol around 25 mpg. I recently changed from the SD to a GTS and have no regrets at all, I did have problems with the DPF on the SD but to me it was not a big issue, I just believe, rightly or wrongly, that Diesel cars are going to be demonised for sometime to come, whichever Macan you go for one thing is for sure, i5 is the best SUV on the market
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Aaarrgghhh

Thanks for the replies, now I’m in a quandary and I’m poised to negotiate the deal tomorrow.

I kind of feel the price and spec of this one is good and it will enable me to buy a Porsche 2 year warranty for peace of mind and still be well under 40 k.

FWIW my missus leaves early and does 20 miles every morning and 17 of those are quiet a roads so perfect diesel mileage.
I reckon she will cover 12 to 14 k a year by the time I borrow the car for the odd longer run.

I’ll be sleeping on this one tonight but I do value the opinions.
Paul

Post by Paul »

To counter the diesel negativity (if needs be) my first SD did 9000 miles in 8 months and didn’t miss a beat.
Real world mpg is as different to MFD whether the car us petrol or diesel.
I’ve no vested interest either way diesel vs petrol but diesel has had some bad press recently which has been blown out if proportion.
Diesel remains a far more efficient fuel; manufacturers (not just VW group) have manipulated govt imposed tests to their advantage and been caught out. Nothing wrong with the concept of the diesel engine.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465