New to be member - advice on purchase please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:35 pm To counter the diesel negativity (if needs be) my first SD did 9000 miles in 8 months and didn’t miss a beat.
Real world mpg is as different to MFD whether the car us petrol or diesel.
I’ve no vested interest either way diesel vs petrol but diesel has had some bad press recently which has been blown out if proportion.
Diesel remains a far more efficient fuel; manufacturers (not just VW group) have manipulated govt imposed tests to their advantage and been caught out. Nothing wrong with the concept of the diesel engine.
Totally agree. We have a petrol car and a diesel. Both VAG products and both have run faultlessly.

Interesting to note that the brand new VW Touareg has just been launched with the 3.0 diesel as the only option initially.

If it's an SUV just for lo low speed driving, then buy a petrol. If not the diesel is a brilliant machine.
Last edited by SAC1 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I have had a DPF issue but it was dealt with and it would not put me off the car. However a RS6 or something similar went past me on Motorway today and I thought I would tag along. A lot of effort on the McCanns part and little satisfaction. Left me hankering for a GTS.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

So can I find out if my potential purchase has been recalled by calling Porsche and giving details of the car ?
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Wilpert wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 am So can I find out if my potential purchase has been recalled by calling Porsche and giving details of the car ?
With the car's VIN you can also check here:
https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/vin ... N?ReadForm
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Guy

Post by Guy »

I wouldn't trust the VIN checker - it is not 100% reliable. The best way to check is to ask a Porsche dealer to run the VIN through their system.

The only definite SD recall that I am aware of is the 'WG22 DME reprogramming' that was introduced at some stage last year, probably linked to 'dieselgate' but Porsche would deny this. Mine had this work done in September last year at its 2-year service, and I have not noticed any difference in operation of the car since. (At first I thought I noted a drop in fuel consumption, but my usage case had changed slightly and I am now back up at 40-45 mpg indicated.) Note that I only rarely drive journeys of less than an hour. I have never had any DPF issues or cockpit indications/faults/warnings, nor have I ever noticed a DPF regen occurring.

There have been rumours of a subsequent recall that is linked to dieselgate, but to-date there is nothing showing on the recall checker, nor have any SD owners received anything through the post.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Further to my last, if you get Porsche to check the VIN it would also be worth asking them if the car has had its transfer box replaced. There's lots about these on the forum, so there is clearly a problem that effects petrol and diesel models. A new transfer box would be circa £3500 if out of warranty! Also definitely worth looking out for drivetrain jolts (low speed, pulling away) and judders on any test drive.

If buying a second hand SD, the transfer box issue would be a bigger worry for me than the DPF.
Last edited by Guy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Update:

I called the original supplier, gave the reg and they gave me a full lowdon on the car (as far as they could of course).

It was registered September 15
Had a software update in Novemebr 16 - which I am told is standard, no issues etc.
Had a service March 17 at just under 19k miles.

So they tell me if I take to a Porsche dealers, it can have a free check of the DPF and if it needs regenerate, they will do free of charge.

The service bloke liked to chat and was extremely helpful, he told me as long as the car does a decent run each time it's used, then there is no reason to concern especially if it's a daily driver.

My man maths is telling me to negotiate the cost of a 111 point health check and see if the present owner is prepared to put an extended warranty on the vehicle, with me paying half or something like that.
Then I feel I would have done pretty much all that can be done. (apart from buying a petrol car that I don't want).

This s a nice car and I feel very well specced and priced. So I don't want to lose it over unfounded fears but I do want to go in with my eyes open.

I really appreciate input from people on here though, it's helped to open my eyes, a lot!
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ That seems like a sensible plan.

If the software update was WG22 it should be listed in the Porsche Guarantee & Maintenance booklet at page 24 under 'Service Campaigns'.

My SD is also a Sept 15 registration, and had the transfer box replaced earlier this year at about 14K miles. I have observed on the forums that the transfer box failures seem to be at about the 2 year point, and not necessarily related to mileage. It's apparently a transfer box 'breather pipe' that causes the problems, so perhaps a seal is drying out. My transfer box replacement is not listed in my Porsche Guarantee and Maintenance booklet.
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

i dont like the sound of that transport box problem, what sort of money does that cost or was it done under warranty?
Guy

Post by Guy »

It was done under warranty, but apparently could have cost approx £3500.