Entire engine replacement

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Richjmitch

Post by Richjmitch »

My 2016 Macan lost power last week and sounded terrible. Pulled over immediately and recovered to Porsche Dealer. It’s the 2 litre petrol with 18000 miles. They have today advised it needs an entire new engine . I am shocked to say the least.
Anyone else had an experience like this? How will it effect resale value? Any advice appreciated 😩😡

Guy

Post by Guy »

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Different engine, but have a read of this: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7282&hilit=gts+disaster
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Why? what has happened to it? If it is a new engine put in by Porsche then I don't think it should alter resale value. Others might disagree, but it wouldn't bother me. Might even increase value since the engine has fewer miles on it.
Richjmitch

Post by Richjmitch »

Don’t know what has happened to it they haven’t said other that it needs a new engine. To be honest the attitude and service from the dealer has been poor so far.
Thanks for the welcome I just wish it was under better circumstances!
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I remember when my 2010 Cayman PDK had a fault after less than 1 year and the dealership got Porsche GB to authorise a new gearbox, I was convinced it was merely a software issue. After flying a new gearbox to U.K. and fitting I was proved correct when the car still refused to move. A full software reinstall did the trick. Glad I was not paying.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Richjmitch

Post by Richjmitch »

Unfortunately this isn’t a software problem although they did have the car in for 2 weeks a few months back trying to sort a software problem out! From the awful sound it made something significant and mechanical has gone in the engine block hence the need for a new unit. It’s actually the Mrs run around she is gutted been in tears over it . 😔
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sorry to welcome you under such circumstances☹️

However, a replacement engine under warranty is nothing to worry about and shouldn’t affect residuals. The dealership will record everything in the service book.

The 2.0 Macan (unloved by some but a perfectly acceptable car for many more) shares its’ engine with virtually every other model in the VW group range so there are thousands out there performing fine.

Easy for me to say from a distance, but reassure Mrs JMitch that it’s “only” a car!😳
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Cam chain failure? Needs to be something like that to write off the whole engine.

Sorry to hear of this failure, you have been very unlucky to suffer something that is very rare.

And I agree with others who have said a replacement engine under warranty should not be a resale issue.

I'm sure you and/or your wife will soon put this behind you and learn to love the car again.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col M

Post by Col M »

Richjmitch wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 pm My 2016 Macan lost power last week and sounded terrible. Pulled over immediately and recovered to Porsche Dealer. It’s the 2 litre petrol with 18000 miles. They have today advised it needs an entire new engine . I am shocked to say the least.
Anyone else had an experience like this? How will it effect resale value? Any advice appreciated 😩😡
Will greatly improve the resale value... compared to keeping the original. :!:
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I completely disagree with the comments thus far, you need to protect your significant investment- don't go down the route of engine replacement, my advice would be reject the car we've had a similar discussion on another thread, it's easy for people on here to say that it won't affect resale but it will always niggle you and any prospective buyer, there are many like me that would be very wary of buying a car with a replacement engine.
Last edited by MacanArif on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S