Macan SD - hits and misses

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

March 2015, 25,000.
When looking for wife's new car, tried Kodiak- terrible to drive like an oversized Tonka toy, tiguan- indifferent engine and gearbox match we drove the manual avoid it, seat atteca small engine drove better than top model, Peugeot 3008- interesting skittish on poor surfaces, went for new Mazda cx5 4wd top model, the only car I would want to drive to Scotland in of all those, it would be interesting to drive the American 2.5 litre petrol, acceleration of the two litre is poor in fun when compared for a macan driver.
On a jaguar day, f pace interesting, fast one fun but not an everyday drive, of the choices I pace looks interesting, or its competition a few down the road,
A baby macan would be interesting or similar Audi spin offs!
Let's assume a three year old macan is 30k ish, is s ipace with options worth double🤔

johnd

Post by johnd »

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:26 pm Having read this thread, I can honestly say John, you don't know what you want!
Try re-reading the posts more carefully. What I'm after is very clear: a quick, smaller, premium, 4wd SUV (that can also deliver a true 25mpg or something close as a minimum), where:

quick = eg 5sec 0-60;

smaller = eg Ateca-sized (ie much the same internal space as a Macan, but in a somewhat more compact and hence significantly lighter body that allows substantially better power to weight);

premium = eg Audi or Porsche quality, with price not a significant limitation;

Factor in also that an iPad stuck on the dash is pretty much a no-no and that Q3 styling is so staid as to be unacceptable.

So you reach the point where you realise that this car doesn't currently exist. A more perceptive comment would have been to understand that compromise is therefore inevitable and that depending on which aspect you compromise on takes you in a different direction. But I'm not prepared to compromise on performance. So the options come down to:

I-Pace - OK, a compromise on size, but ticks pretty much all other boxes and, IMO at least, will be a taste of driving the future.

Or compromise on the premium aspect, which takes you down the road of Cupra Ateca, Tiguan R, T-Roc etc, but all essentially variations on much the same theme.

Sadly there's no sign of the fabled Porsche Majun at present, which would probably have been a front runner.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

IMHO John, I would plump for a petrol engine Macan (not 2 litre). A turbo, dependent on your drive style can return 25mpg and power to weight is not an issue, added with some comfort seats, full leather and no sports chrono. The compromise may well be size but I don't think you can get better.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
johnd

Post by johnd »

MikeM wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am A turbo, dependent on your drive style can return 25mpg and power to weight is not an issue, added with some comfort seats, full leather and no sports chrono.
From everything I've seen and read, current-model petrol Macans struggle to deliver a long-term average of better than 20mpg. Just take a look at Fuelly for example - the central band is 18-22. I know my SD is pretty much par for the course at (a true) 32mpg on Fuelly (http://www.fuelly.com/car/porsche/macan ... edo/439294 is my record) and I'm not wanting or expecting to change my driving style.

However, as per my intial post IIRC, there is some chance that the new engines in the FL Macan will do significantly better and maybe meet my target. Unfortunately there's no real clue on when the new line-up will be available for delivery or when reliable info on eg consumption or specification etc will be posted. I can't wait indefinitely and suspect that I'll want to jump one way or the other with a firm order before too long.

Real mpg at Fuelly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Your want wish list is the same as mine

The problem is that the criteria currently do not stack up.

Compact SUV
Premium
Good 25+ mpg
Sub 5s 0 - 60 mph

There is only the Audi Q car and even then the mpg would probably not meet your criteria.

I had a Q3 it was cr4p but there again it was a diesel model but blandness personified.

Only suggestions wound be to look away from an SUV at a Golf R or Audi S3 for a compact size.

My Turbo meets the performance criteria and in 22 months of ownership actual measure mpg has been 22 mpg, the MFD shows 24 mpg, size wise its to big overall but with poor internal space.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
johnd

Post by johnd »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 am The problem is that the criteria currently do not stack up.
Don't stack up in what sense? That there's no car currently available that meets them - yes, agree 100%.

But I don't see any reason why they couldn't be met if a manufacturer chose to do so. Golf R typically achieves a consumption of 26-29mpg (http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf_r, say 27-28. Shave off a couple of mpg for a somewhat larger/taller/heavier body (though partly compensated by a latest-tech engine) and you should be able to achieve eg 26mpg.

The other factors are just design decisions. But perhaps it's inevitable that a premium car needs to be made by a premium maker like Porsche, Audi, JLR, MB etc and, for one reason or another, they're not making this sort of model. What would probably have won my vote would be a smaller Macan (aka Majun or Mac Mini maybe). Once you decide on a transverse engine (limited to 2l or maybe 2.5l) then that should enable you to completely rethink the packaging and retain Macan interior space but in a smaller, lighter body.

But I guess the time for this logical development of the Porsche model range may well have passed the priorities now being dealing with dieselgate and associated emissions/consumption issues etc and looking forwards to EVs and hybrids.

Real mpg at Fuelly
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

John, have you looked at the GLA 45 or X2 M?? Can't get more compact than those in the "SUV" stakes. Both quick, decent room and will do your mpg without the ridiculous EV element.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

10 hour charge time at home seems too long....Evo’s rating.

image.jpg

Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
johnd

Post by johnd »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm 10 hour charge time at home seems too long....Evo’s rating.
That was probably written by someone who doesn't have a clue about EVs. The maximum charge rate that's going to be available at home in the UK is 7kW and so to charge 80% of a 90kWh is inevitably going to take 10 hours - that's simple arithmetic!

But that's overnight (eg 10pm - 6am) while I'm asleep so that's all OK. (And actually the average daily mileage is eg 30 miles, ie one hour's charge overnight). What other type of car can I start each day at home with a full tank of fuel?

Real mpg at Fuelly
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Times calculated with a fast charger at home , electric vehicles do work for “some”, but that’s the problem at the moment. But if it works for you then it looks like a nice Ev.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊