Macan SD - hits and misses

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Hello, I'm new, so will probably get lynched for my next comments.
My new Macan S is lovely, came to it from a succession of Cayman S's. I too flirted with an I-Pace but rejected it for a number of reasons.........

1. Saving the planet- slowing the warming at best. The electricity for the vehicle has to come from somewhere and 'we' have thrown away the nuclear lead and option so we are tied to fossils or ridiculous renewables ( for this country) high pressure inthe winter (and summer for that matter) means no breeze for the big fans, so power for hear and aircon is lacking. Until a hydrogen society develops we will struggle.
2. Price. A relatively restrained spec. for me came to over 70k.
3. Battery tech. Still in its infancy. Just how much destruction is meted out obtaining the precious elements required to make them. OK, not too much of an issue some would say at the moment but what happens if we all start driving EV.
4. UK works on a 2-4% margin of backup capacity for generation. We came close to dim lighting at times last winter. If we all plug in........ we have very little generating capacity due to the dithering of successive governments of all persuasions over the last 30 years.
5. Tax. UKGvt needs tax income. They are not going t sit back and watch a wholesale switch to EV and the loss of revenue as previous incarnations did with the crazy 'free' 'road tax' debacle (they might mind you, the unionists in Ireland have previous). I for one will be unhappy if my light bill goes up to subsidise the running of EV.
6. Jaguar Dealers in my experience are utter pants. The brand purports to being a premium product but they appear to employ relatively low skilled staff, both on sales and perhaps more importantly the service area - although 'service' should be minimal on an EV
7. Build quality. OK it was a launch model but it was not stellar and if some complain about PCM the Jag system appears positively archaic in operation and the display quality is not great.

EV light the Jag and Mr Musk's products are 'the future' - just not yet. Like my T shirt says 'I'll drive a Mercedes too one day.......... when I'm older

Still as the questions in traditional examinations used to say........................

Discuss (50)

I hope this will be an interesting Forum
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

johnd

Post by johnd »

bennachie wrote: ↑Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm Hello, I'm new, so will probably get lynched for my next comments.
Welcome and I think we're (generally!) too good-natured for any lynching. Bear in mind also that there's also quite a lot of antipathy here for BEVs.
1. Saving the planet- slowing the warming at best.
Yep, that's the best we can hope for now. Still might save millions of lives though if successful.

Difficult to compare exactly, but roughly on a par with a Macan for comparable performance?

3. Battery tech. Still in its infancy.

Indeed. Hundreds of ideas out there for improved batteries but very few reaching mass production. All the indications are that battery tech will advance only slowly at a commercial scale.

4. UK works on a 2-4% margin of backup capacity for generation...
I don't think anyone is suggesting that there's going to be an overnight switch to EVs - it will be a steady switch over the next 10-20 years. The grid will need to plan to adapt, certainly, but with sensible planning there are no major issues foreseen at all either in generation or distribution. Like it or not, renewables are here to stay and to provide an increasing share of our energy. As I write, renewables are providing 25% of UK energy.

5. Tax. UKGvt needs tax income.
Of course. But road pricing is waiting in the wings - it's the only logical answer. The more you use the roads, the more you'll pay (adjusted for rush-hours etc).

6. Jaguar Dealers in my experience are utter pants.

So I hear. And yes it will be a calculated risk. But as you say, it would be nice to think that an Austrian-manufactured EV would need minimal service attention.

7. Build quality.

See [6]

And just to be clear, I'm not too starry-eyed about the I-Pace. I can see drawbacks myself as well as considerable appeal. And I've still not made a final decision - that probably won't happen for 3-4 months until eg, I-Pace test drives become properly available along with initial reviews of actual production vehicles and until detail of the other VW group smaller 300bhp SUVs like 2019 Q3, Cupra Ateca etc start to get released.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Hi! again and thanks for the essay...................I enjoyed it!

Seems like I might get more debate here than on Pi*******ds
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Totally agree with the shoddy sales ... and after cate in regards to Jaguar ( Shame really) . My experience was drawn whilst testing the f pace ... etc.. I also wondered at what point did they imagine they where a premium brand, and started to charge for it accordingly. As for 65k upwards for a I pace I shudder at the thought of it.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

I had my Jag for 11 years, service went from great to dire as successive owners destroyed my local dealer.

I test drove the FPace and all went well until we got back to the dealership when their SE asked what my own car was, I pointed to the Macan and said that, his face told it all.

Looked at the iPace and it seems OK but I would rather have a Model X.

Meanwhile its enjoy my Turbo and to hell with the mileage, in my works life my actions have saved hundreds of thousands of tonnes of CO2 being released so a little payback is OK in my book.

Enjoy your Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Fog lights?

image.jpg

Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

bennachie wrote: ↑Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:58 pm Hello, I'm new, so will probably get lynched for my next comments.
My new Macan S is lovely, came to it from a succession of Cayman S's. I too flirted with an I-Pace but rejected it for a number of reasons.........

1. Saving the planet- slowing the warming at best. The electricity for the vehicle has to come from somewhere and 'we' have thrown away the nuclear lead and option so we are tied to fossils or ridiculous renewables ( for this country) high pressure inthe winter (and summer for that matter) means no breeze for the big fans, so power for hear and aircon is lacking. Until a hydrogen society develops we will struggle.
3. Battery tech. Still in its infancy. Just how much destruction is meted out obtaining the precious elements required to make them. OK, not too much of an issue some would say at the moment but what happens if we all start driving EV.
4. UK works on a 2-4% margin of backup capacity for generation. We came close to dim lighting at times last winter. If we all plug in........ we have very little generating capacity due to the dithering of successive governments of all persuasions over the last 30 years.
5. Tax. UKGvt needs tax income. They are not going t sit back and watch a wholesale switch to EV and the loss of revenue as previous incarnations did with the crazy 'free' 'road tax' debacle (they might mind you, the unionists in Ireland have previous). I for one will be unhappy if my light bill goes up to subsidise the running of EV.
6. Jaguar Dealers in my experience are utter pants. The brand purports to being a premium product but they appear to employ relatively low skilled staff, both on sales and perhaps more importantly the service area - although 'service' should be minimal on an EV
7. Build quality. OK it was a launch model but it was not stellar and if some complain about PCM the Jag system appears positively archaic in operation and the display quality is not great.

EV light the Jag and Mr Musk's products are 'the future' - just not yet. Like my T shirt says 'I'll drive a Mercedes too one day.......... when I'm older

Still as the questions in traditional examinations used to say........................

Discuss (50)

I hope this will be an interesting Forum
Instead of trying to predict the entire future UK power industry, you are better off just focusing on the iPace itself. If you are able to charge it conveniently and it drives well, then there's a lot of practical benefits to an EV. My main concerns with an iPace would be the Jag dealer network (patchy reputation and zero experience with EVs) and reliance on public chargers on longer trips. Possibly also potential tech issues as this is well out of JLR's comfort zone! For those reasons and because I needed a new car back in Feb I went with a Tesla. No regrets and our local electricity board has successfully charged it up for me every night without issues!