Paninc -or is this normal

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Mrs left home this morning for her 20 mile journey to work.

called me 5 minutes in and aid she had 2 things that came uo on the dash:

Check Diesel particulate filter service required.
Please refill Adblue reach rem 1500 miles.

Im aware that the DPF does sometimes need a regenerate but could it be possible that some spiriteds high rev driving will sort this out or will i need to take it to the main stealers?

Can I top up the Adblue myself or do I need to get this done - is there a specific type to buy or Unipart?

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

You can do the Adblu yourself.

As for the particulate filter ...... we did try to warn you!!!!
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

ha ha, Im not worried about the DPF, I just wanted to know the method of sorting it, i.e. is it a Porsche job or a drive in high revs up the road job.

Could it be that the Adblue is low and this is related?

edit:

She just called me and said that since shes got to work and after giving it a short blast the message has gone?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Adblue top up by a (previous) forum member....

The dpf filter light is not necessarily a cause for alarm. If it’s the grey light then this is normal; it’s sensing a certain soot load and automatically running hotter / burning more fuel to increase the temps and burn the soot off.

If it’s the yellow light then you (or Mrs Wilpert) needs to carry on driving at 2000 rpm until the regeneration is complete.

Sadly, simply ranting the car when YOU can won’t help much - the car decides when it will carry out its’ generation cycle. The dealership can carry out a forced regeneration....but they’ll charge you.

Bear in mind that the regeneration cycle won’t happen if the car has under 1/4 tank of fuel.

A bit of a minefield BUT if the car us used regularly to do appropriate mileage (ie every time the car is used, you get the oil up to working temp and then drive for half an hour or so) you should avoid any of the problematic soot build up.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Just to add to the points made in the video Paul posted. You can buy Adblue in 10L in any number of outlets. The tank capacity is 23L: average mileage from full to warning is around 12K. Just putting in enough to reset the warning light will mean you'll be refilling more frequently.

Various OPCs were running an offer to refill the Adblue tank for £45. For my second refill which was at the 2yr service, I plead guilty to taking the easy way out.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Thanks for this, very useful.

So i will need a special gizmo to fill the tank with, i.e. a little blue bottle thingy?
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

There is a standard VAG filler nozzle that should fit a variety of filling containers. I bought my adblue in 10 l tubs and by chance had a 5l tub with the correct threads. The filling aperture is very narrow and getting fluid in and air out is very tricky without the correct gear.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
happy days

Post by happy days »

I decant a 20l into a household 1-litre measuring jug and pour it in using a funnel. It can be time consuming and messy, and if you spill any, wash it away otherwise it will go crystalline. Not sure about the damage to paintwork, but I'd imagine it would be safe enough to use given the commonality of it these days. Sometimes I can only get so much in; go for a drive around the block and the rest will go in after that.
Macan S D
718 S
Guy

Post by Guy »

I bought one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-NEW- ... m570.l1313

But never got round to using it as it was topped up by the OPC at my first service at about 14K miles.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

That’s what I used. Great job. It allows the air back into the container. Attach insert and invert.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)