Need help with light spec

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Guy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:08 pm From my 2014 brochure … (let me know if you want copies of any other 'option' definitions)

CCI20072018_00000 (2).jpg
Perfect so it’s the bi xenon with pdls

Next question are these a bit less effective than the led’s
Ie what is the next light upgrade than you can choose other than the pdls +

What is standard on the macan ie sans upgrade. ?

Guy

Post by Guy »

There's a few threads that mention the LEDs where people have made subjective comparisons and prefer LEDs. At the time that ours were delivered (Sep 15), LED lights were not available as an option. I have not tried LEDs, but am more than happy with the Bi-Xenons for the limited amount of night driving that I do.

The Macan's standards lights are halogen, and without headlamp washing. These are reputed to be quite poor in performance.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wilpert

The short answer is Yes.

The difference between xenons and LEDs is the same as between halogen and xenons.

I have owned Macans with xenons and my cutrrent Macan has LEDs, they are superb, will light up the next county.

Its not that xenons are poor, they are very good in themselves and for the vast majority they will be perfect, for an oldie like me who does not have the night vision capabilities that I used to have LEDs make a vast difference.

Standard on a base Macan is halogen, xenons came with PDLS and LEDs have PDLS+ which adds extra look left and look right lights which come on at junctions.

Macans with Halogens are few and far between and we did have one member here who ignored advice that xenons were a must have, only to find out to their cost just how poor the standard Halogens were, their Macan did not last long.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bogus

Post by Bogus »

Xenons are amazing and I have had on my last 4 cars but LED are in a different league. I have had LEDs with PDLS on ny Panamera and now the Macan. Boy what a difference they make to night driving.. I am just sharing my experience even though it might not be relevent to the original question.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Macan Turbo PP - Collected June 2018
LED PDLS, Pano, Air Susp, ACC, Entry & Drive, 21" Turbo 2 wheels, LDW, Heated front & rear seats, Turbo Interior Packagae, PSE
Panamera 4S (970.2) - Sold May 2018
911 C4S (991.1) - Sold May 2017
VanB

Post by VanB »

Having had LEDs on the Macan it was the first option I ticked on the 911. Completely transformed night driving for me despite Xenons being very good LEDs are, as has been mentioned, in a different league all together
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
John_M

Post by John_M »

Paul wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 pm Could be headlamp wash (definitely not standard with halogens, but mandatory with xenons)
The rules talk about being washers (and self levelling) being mandatory with luminous flux of 2,000 lumens or higher - when I was looking beginning of 2017 BMW seemed able to sell a car with xenons but no washers so I assume they have lower light output
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Yep. Cayman/Boxster S has xenon headlights without washers as they are 'low power'
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'