Driving over 2000 revs - not so easy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Had to make a quick 30 mile round trip to my office tonight to print some airport parking passes off due to failure of my home printer.

Anyway, thought I’d take the wife Macan sd.
After a warm up I thought I’d test myself at keeping the revs over 2k to give the diesel filter a clean out.
Well, unless I drove in manual or sport mode on the motorway, I struggled to keep anything like this rev rate and let’s just say, I wasn’t driving slowly.
So when people say you need 14 minutes over 2000 revs, I’d say unless you climb a 10 mile hill or drive in sport mode at 90 mph. This just doesn’t happen.

Maybe my driving style is a bit docile but I don’t think that is the case as I’m used to keeping up the revs in my flat 6 boxster s

Any vlues what I’m doing wrong here. Or perhaps I’m not and all that is really needed is a few miles at a bit of a spirited driving speed?

Col M

Post by Col M »

Two journeys at 1000?

Double posting is cheating 🤔
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
johnd

Post by johnd »

The obvious answer is surely to use it in manual and use the paddles to adjust rpm vs speed. Is there some reason you don't want to do that?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

johnd wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:33 pm The obvious answer is surely to use it in manual and use the paddles to adjust rpm vs speed. Is there some reason you don't want to do that?
No I’m happy to do that but it just doesn’t feel right. Maybe I’m used to the revs going higher in my other car and to get the revs up in this car I’ve either got to work it a bit or drive a bit too fast.
I feel the cars natural
Instinct is to keep the revs down, which must be the pdk box being super efficient and changing up a gear as soon as it can. Fuel saving?
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Not necessarily so....I use to think that building up speed gradually in a high gear was the way ... however I been now doing the opposite in the GTS and my fuel economy is higher as a result, obviously this might be different if you red line.....
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Not necessarily so....I use to think that building up speed gradually in a high gear was the way ... however Iv been now doing the opposite in the GTS and my fuel economy is higher as a result, obviously this might be different if you red line.....
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:57 pm Not necessarily so....I use to think that building up speed gradually in a high gear was the way ... however Iv been now doing the opposite in the GTS and my fuel economy is higher as a result, obviously this might be different if you red line.....
Yes but unless you override the pdk, ie flappy paddles or manual then it will just drop back into low revs.
I do tend to drop down when overtaking and as I approach a roundabout or junction but failing this I will let the pdk do it’s thing.
Same as my bmw 430 d although it didn’t feel as smooth in that one. The Porsche pdk is very slick imho.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The SD's torque peak with boost is from 1700-2500 (ish) then it drops off pretty sharply, so unless you're accelerating hard (peak power is around 4000) it will naturally want to be as low as possible for efficiency and emissions.

Just suffer the nature of modern diesels and use manual to keep the revs high.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Paul

Post by Paul »

...also, re the original dpf filter point, driving at 2000 rpm won’t clean the filter unless the regeneration process has been initiated by the car.

It won’t do any harm and the higher temps may help keep the soot down but only the car can decide when it wants to regenerate the particulate filter.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:25 pm ...also, re the original dpf filter point, driving at 2000 rpm won’t clean the filter unless the regeneration process has been initiated by the car.

It won’t do any harm and the higher temps may help keep the soot down but only the car can decide when it wants to regenerate the particulate filter.
So would I know when the regeneration process is going to happen or does it just do it when it fancies it?