Sat Nav Frustrations...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

On a trip to cornwall with the family and we have been using the nav much to our frustration.

It sends us down the tighest of single track lanes where the risk of scratches is high...it even once tried to sebd us down a private drive!

It seems just as bad as the nav in our MK3 TTS...i understand its set to 'fastest route' but that route needs to be practical too.

Is there anyway to configure the nav to avoid these single track lanes?

Thanks

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I’ve had similar issues this week when on holiday in Somerset.

I think the sat nav can be programmed to avoid motorways and/or toll roads, but not narrow country lanes.

As you say, it aims to find the fastest/shortest route, rather than the route kindest to the bodywork and/or the driver’s nerves!

I guess it is easy for the system to identify a motorway or toll road, but harder to categorise and define what constitutes a narrow road/lane. What is ok for a Boxster/Cayman may be more of a challenge for a Macan, Cayenne or Panamera... :?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

I thought that in Cornwall, narrow single tracks were all they had to offer!

But re the Nav I’ve not found an easy way of “forcing” A roads either in the Macan or Mrs P’s new TTS Roadster.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col M

Post by Col M »

The main issue I think is too much information. Used to be that calculation was by type of road, but now the speed limit for a road is known it seems to assume that 60mph is achieved on all roads where "national speed limit applies"
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Not much help I know, but a lot of sat navs suffer this problem. Sometimes you have to force it to recalculate if you get the feeling it is doing something stupid, ie turning off onto a narrow lane when you know that the major route will get you to your destination in about the same time. This is where a little planning with a paper map, and/or a navigator sitting in the passenger seat can be a big help.

Total reliance on a sat nav often ends in tears!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 am Not much help I know, but a lot of sat navs suffer this problem. Sometimes you have to force it to recalculate if you get the feeling it is doing something stupid, ie turning off onto a narrow lane when you know that the major route will get you to your destination in about the same time. This is where a little planning with a paper map, and/or a navigator sitting in the passenger seat can be a big help.

Total reliance on a sat nav often ends in tears!
I agree. I had the same problem with the Mercedes Sat Nave seemingly having no idea how wide an "E" Class was. Now I adopt an "I'm not going down there" attitude and if the Sat Nav can't find an alternative route I get the map out of the boot.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As you elude with the TT system its a VW thing.

My SatNav in the Q3 that I had was just as poor as the one in our Macans.

The Jag system I had dated back to 2003 and it worked far better than the VW system.

The Garmin that I had on my motorcycles was again far superior to the VW system.

The systems are not yet smart enough to figure out that we do not want to go down small narrow country single track lanes.

I adopt the attitude with the route given that if it does not look right I will ignore the directions and force it to reroute the journey.

It does make sense that if your are going on an unknown route to at least look at said route in a good old fashioned analogue map rather than to solely rely on the SatNav
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

If you find a solution please share it with all the Polish and Spanish HGV drivers who come up our lane.

We've had a couple capsize going round a bend and one was stuck for a day on the S bend which is tight for a car!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

If you have a trailer hitch you can select ‘trailer mode’ in the routing options.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

3 points,
In France shortest routes found villages and roads to avoid, so use fastest route and ignore it when it gives two sides of a triangle, it eventually recalculates closer to what one has in mind.

Try setting a route via an entered place, this will adapt the quickest option.

Lastly, having a tow bar too, does the pcm route then avoid the diddy lanes?