3rd year review for Macan SD

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

As I've had my Macan SD for almost three years now I have only logged onto the forum now and then just out of interest. Last year I retired and was considering selling it, but it's too nice a car and I like having a Porsche - so in three weeks I'll be paying off the balloon payment on the PCP and keeping it till something else takes my fancy as the "new" Macan although nice, is just not enough of a change to justify the expenditure of a replacement for the car I currently have. I use it for everyday things like shopping, sticking the dog in the back, and taking rubbish to the tip - yes, it does get used as a normal car rather than a Porsche to be detailed and kept for the weekend, but I have access to other cars and bikes also.

Those of you with eagle eyes will notice I've had the 19" wheels powder coated and the brake callipers professionally painted to add a bit more sportiness to the looks of my original SD:

With the exception of a new transfer box fitted last week in 48hrs at the expense of Porsche it's been a pleasant experience over the past 3 years and nothing has gone wrong at all, it's never missed a beat in three years I've had it.

There is a company called TDI Tuning who make a twin channel module for the turbo and ECU to increase the BHP to around 300bhp (of more if you want it!) - just buy one when you get your car and you will never know the torture of 40 less bhp than the car should have had when it was given to you in the first place. I've had mine fitted since new for 3 years now and it has been perfect, a real pleasure to drive, and with petrol like performance and diesel like fuel consumption to boot. The car has always went back to Porsche for it's services and has now covered just over 40k miles, at no point have they mentioned the box, and it's been left on since day one when I bought the car and had it fitted the same day - I'm not so sure they would have been quiet if I blew up the engine though :D

I've found the car to be a great all rounder. It's quick, nimble, behaves like no SUV has a right to, yet it can munch the miles in quite comfort very happily and easily. I seldom ever touch the sport button, I just don't need it having the extra bit of oomph I got from TDI Tuning, but I do hit the PASM button from time to time when I don't want to drop speed going through the twisties - well worth the option.

I opted for the 19" Macan design wheels which were a good call for comfort and handling, I wanted them in black and finally just went ahead and got them done - money down the drain for some folk, but I like them and eventually sprung for them, so to me it's money well spent as I'm keeping the car. They have never been kerbed despite feeling the tyres touch on occasion, so not a mark on them in 40,000 miles, and the original tyres are still going strong with around 4mm of tread left - I can barely believe how good they have been, I've never had that from a set of tyres :o

So it's a bit of a boring write up for year 3. Everything has worked as it should with only the notorious transfer box going. It's just had it's 40k service and been given it's health check which after the transfer box being done was all clear, so I got them to put an MOT on it while it was in. Fuel consumption was around 43mpg when I was working and doing longer distances and using the motorways more, but has now dropped to 39mpg with far less journeys and I've only done 3/4k in the last 12 months as I also bought a motorbike when I retired, so I've clocked up around 3k on that as well. The adblue use is good also, I've only put around 20 litres in 40k, so say 10L every 20k or so, but they did say from the health check it needed topping up which I asked them to leave as I have another 20L in the garage which I though I'd have gone through ages ago but didn't :P

When in for it's service I asked them not to do the software update for the car as I know it's linked to the Volkswagen diesel scandal, and my car runs perfectly the way it is and I'm happy to leave it well alone, so no more ECU updates for me.

Happy motoring.

James

Spud

Post by Spud »

Not boring at all James, I think that is a great real world review of the Macan, like you I don’t visit the forum to much as it’s all been said , I agree about the new Macan as nice as it is I won’t be persuaded to change in a hurry, the SD is a great motor and I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent in mine
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Paul

Post by Paul »

👍 and a relection of both my first SD (only kept for just under a year) and my current GTS - although I think my tyres may be close to 3mm now at 2 yrs / 20K☹️
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

jesim1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 am As I've had my Macan SD for almost three years now I have only logged onto the forum now and then just out of interest. Last year I retired and was considering selling it, but it's too nice a car and I like having a Porsche - so in three weeks I'll be paying off the balloon payment on the PCP and keeping it till something else takes my fancy as the "new" Macan although nice, is just not enough of a change to justify the expenditure of a replacement for the car I currently have. I use it for everyday things like shopping, sticking the dog in the back, and taking rubbish to the tip - yes, it does get used as a normal car rather than a Porsche to be detailed and kept for the weekend, but I have access to other cars and bikes also.

Those of you with eagle eyes will notice I've had the 19" wheels powder coated and the brake callipers professionally painted to add a bit more sportiness to the looks of my original SD:

With the exception of a new transfer box fitted last week in 48hrs at the expense of Porsche it's been a pleasant experience over the past 3 years and nothing has gone wrong at all, it's never missed a beat in three years I've had it.

There is a company called TDI Tuning who make a twin channel module for the turbo and ECU to increase the BHP to around 300bhp (of more if you want it!) - just buy one when you get your car and you will never know the torture of 40 less bhp than the car should have had when it was given to you in the first place. I've had mine fitted since new for 3 years now and it has been perfect, a real pleasure to drive, and with petrol like performance and diesel like fuel consumption to boot. The car has always went back to Porsche for it's services and has now covered just over 40k miles, at no point have they mentioned the box, and it's been left on since day one when I bought the car and had it fitted the same day - I'm not so sure they would have been quiet if I blew up the engine though :D

I've found the car to be a great all rounder. It's quick, nimble, behaves like no SUV has a right to, yet it can munch the miles in quite comfort very happily and easily. I seldom ever touch the sport button, I just don't need it having the extra bit of oomph I got from TDI Tuning, but I do hit the PASM button from time to time when I don't want to drop speed going through the twisties - well worth the option.

I opted for the 19" Macan design wheels which were a good call for comfort and handling, I wanted them in black and finally just went ahead and got them done - money down the drain for some folk, but I like them and eventually sprung for them, so to me it's money well spent as I'm keeping the car. They have never been kerbed despite feeling the tyres touch on occasion, so not a mark on them in 40,000 miles, and the original tyres are still going strong with around 4mm of tread left - I can barely believe how good they have been, I've never had that from a set of tyres :o

So it's a bit of a boring write up for year 3. Everything has worked as it should with only the notorious transfer box going. It's just had it's 40k service and been given it's health check which after the transfer box being done was all clear, so I got them to put an MOT on it while it was in. Fuel consumption was around 43mpg when I was working and doing longer distances and using the motorways more, but has now dropped to 39mpg with far less journeys and I've only done 3/4k in the last 12 months as I also bought a motorbike when I retired, so I've clocked up around 3k on that as well. The adblue use is good also, I've only put around 20 litres in 40k, so say 10L every 20k or so, but they did say from the health check it needed topping up which I asked them to leave as I have another 20L in the garage which I though I'd have gone through ages ago but didn't :P

When in for it's service I asked them not to do the software update for the car as I know it's linked to the Volkswagen diesel scandal, and my car runs perfectly the way it is and I'm happy to leave it well alone, so no more ECU updates for me.

Happy motoring.

James
Good to have an uneventful review. I would love to fit a Tuning Box but would be scared of something going wrong. MPG is impressive, mine sits at 30 Average but thats because I regularly give it a blow out down the M1.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I am surprised the tuning box didn’t invalidate the warranty on your transfer box. Extra torqu/BHP...
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Ian.g wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:54 pm I am surprised the tuning box didn’t invalidate the warranty on your transfer box. Extra torqu/BHP...
There are a few ways to look at it:

1. The dealer gets paid by Porsche - so why make things complicated for themselves or turn away work?
2. The transfer box is the same as the higher BHP models - so it's not under any extra stress due to the box.
3. The transfer box is a known weak point with or without a tuning box - there are dozens of us on the forum who have experienced this.
4. I asked why the transfer box had failed - I was told a seal had failed and water ingressed causing the problem, the seal is exactly that, the box would have no effect on it, and certainly no bearing on water ingress, so why look for an argument from a customer when they know it's nothing to do with the box?

I dare say if I blew up the engine it may have been another outcome.

James
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Good to hear that she has served you well and you decided to keep her, James. :)

The tuning box likely makes the car more economical too? I was toying with the idea of going to DMS at Southampton for a sowftware tune up for the Macan. I had it done on my little BMW 123d coupe and it was a joy to drive after that and was more economical too.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Wise decision in not letting them apply any emission fixes. Leave well alone would be the right way to go as any fix can only be detrimental.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

The reticence to make small mods is ultra cautious in my view. If I’d kept my Macan, I was at the point of having the same TDI tuning box fitted. I went to their head office and had it fitted to try it out and it made a real difference as James says.

Same story with my Quad. The exhaust noise is at its best in race mode, but to get this mode, all electronic safety systems are turned off - not wise in a 510hp, rear wheel drive car on the road.

A company called AHM can make the exhaust switchable like a PSE for around £300 so you get the amazing sound in normal mode. Many are concerned about warranty impact but it was the first little mod I did and love it every time I drive it. No regrets at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.