Macan hybrid... possibly

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 pm
It shows to me how inept the whole of the VW Groups Directors really are.
It looks to me like they have had a fragmented start to EV development (perhaps previously seen as a niche/research product) and have now realised that they need proper scaleable production platforms to move it on. I bet their future plan today is quite different to what it looked like even a couple of years ago. The market is changing quicker than they expected and not even having a hybrid Macan option on the facelift is not looking good for sales, especially if there is no diesel option.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 pm
It looks to me like they have had a fragmented start to EV development (perhaps previously seen as a niche/research product) and have now realised that they need proper scaleable production platforms to move it on. I bet their future plan today is quite different to what it looked like even a couple of years ago. The market is changing quicker than they expected and not even having a hybrid Macan option on the facelift is not looking good for sales, especially if there is no diesel option.
My OPC tells me there definitely will be a diesel.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:04 pm
I keep hearing diesel, no diesel, diesel, no diesel, diesel, probably. It does make some sense to continue with a diesel Macan with the facelift as there is no hybrid alternative.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am
Dandock wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:04 pm

I keep hearing diesel, no diesel, diesel, no diesel, diesel, probably. It does make some sense to continue with a diesel Macan with the facelift as there is no hybrid alternative.
Albeit there are many mixed messages from the various OPC it does, as you say, make sense.

We’ll just have to wait for the fat lady.

Interestingly I read yesterday that the Swiss have banned new deliveries of Euro 6 compliant Porsches and Volvos. Anything currently in the country is OK but nothing more.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

This whole diesel issue, I think, is tied up with CO2 targets. Car companies developed their diesel range precisely to ensure they fell within CO2 emission regulations. Volvo recently stated, in its infinite wisdom (yeah right ok!), it is stopping production of diesel engines altogether and intends to focus solely on electric. The reason for such a focus on electric in the absence of diesels...CO2 emissions. It's messed up. In any event, I'd rather take a seat on the sidelines and see how this all plays out before committing to one form of tech over another. I certainly won't be an early taker of Porsche's electric only range. These forums will no doubt be filled with people cursing over whatever the newest failure on their car will be! Happy to wait for a few years at least!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Many of us have no option - being members of the logistical underclass. 😳
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am This whole diesel issue, I think, is tied up with CO2 targets. Car companies developed their diesel range precisely to ensure they fell within CO2 emission regulations. Volvo recently stated, in its infinite wisdom (yeah right ok!), it is stopping production of diesel engines altogether and intends to focus solely on electric. The reason for such a focus on electric in the absence of diesels...CO2 emissions. It's messed up. In any event, I'd rather take a seat on the sidelines and see how this all plays out before committing to one form of tech over another. I certainly won't be an early taker of Porsche's electric only range. These forums will no doubt be filled with people cursing over whatever the newest failure on their car will be! Happy to wait for a few years at least!
The problem is that several major car companies cheated the emission regulations on their diesel engines and now the game is up. It's not just CO2 either, it's localised air pollution in towns and cities. Volvo, being a Chinese owned company, are focusing their future on hybrids and EVs and made that decision several years ago. Luckily Porsche are not nearly so dependent on diesel sales as their Audi and VW counterparts who are likely to see some serious pain and dramatic change in the next few years.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Porsche and EV does not necessarily bode well for at least the mark 1 and mark 2 versions.

After all their infotainment system certainly is not bug free and the last this you want in an EV barreling along at the national speed limit only for they system to freeze.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:08 pm Porsche and EV does not necessarily bode well for at least the mark 1 and mark 2 versions.

After all their infotainment system certainly is not bug free and the last this you want in an EV barreling along at the national speed limit only for they system to freeze.
I guess we'll see with the Taycan. While the Tesla infotainment system is not immune to the odd freeze, it has never affected the actual core driving functionality and a reset takes only a few seconds. I've had to reset the main infotainment computer (equivalent of a ctrl/alt/del) maybe half a dozen times in 8k miles for various minor software glitches - usually Spotify freezing after losing signal, but they seem to have fixed that one now. In fact I don't think I've had any issues with the last couple of firmware updates.

I agree all this tech is relatively new to Porsche, but you would hope the Mission E development has ironed out any major firmware flaws. When the eMacan eventually comes to market in 2022 I expect it should be reliable enough. I hope so as that's a car I would be seriously interested in and early 2022 is when my Tesla PCP term ends.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/swis ... edes-2018/

I didn't know Porsche were making the Macan SD anymore. But then I haven't been to the configurator in ages. Not much of a ban on new vehicles if there aren't any being made.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR