Who else....

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I always cool the turbos after a hardish run, although the slow approach to my house means I don't do it on my drive. Any other time though yes, for example arriving at the top of a fun mountain road or a long motorway climb followed by a stop. It's another reason for not using the stop/start.

If you've seen the turbos and first 250 mm of exhaust glowing cherry red after a high load run then you'll understand.

The reason some say it's no longer necessary is because synthetic oils don't carbonise at high temperatures like conventional oils do, and/or turbos are sometimes water cooled. Nevertheless, mechanical sympathy dictates I'll still do it, just like I won't apply the parking brake onto hot discs.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Paul

Post by Paul »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:41 pm just like I won't apply the parking brake onto hot discs.
+1 ...one of the main causes of brake judder is coming off the M-way at (ahem) mph, braking hard down the off slip to zero heating the discs up to max temp, and then holding the car on the brakes. The pads can “weld” themselves to the disc causing at worst, deformation or at best, leave their imprint on the disc (only a problem under really extreme conditions but certainly could be an issue coming down some mountain passes soon😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Yeah!
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'