TPMS.... accuracy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Has this been covered before? So I pumped up my tyres today and found 1 psi difference from reading TPMS to tyre compressor at shell station ... just also to say I run my cars 1 psi above normal recommendations, it now handles like a different car , just goes to show !
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š

happy days

Post by happy days »

I wouldn't think either would be notoriously reliable instruments!
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Best to check the tyre pressures when they're 'cold', before driving and with an accurate gauge.

For example:

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Mike and his Macan wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 pm Has this been covered before? So I pumped up my tyres today and found 1 psi difference from reading TPMS to tyre compressor at shell station ... just also to say I run my cars 1 psi above normal recommendations, it now handles like a different car , just goes to show !
How much did you have to put in? Did the MFD say it was necessary?

Why do you run yours 1 psi over the recommended pressure?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Regarding the accuracy, I use a hand held Michelin digital guage (again from Amazon!) and set to 2.3 / 2.5 .
The TPS gives exactly this when setting off and then rises by a couple of tenths as I would expect as the tyres warm up.

Edit - this guage....

https://gb.michelin-lifestyle.com/en/mi ... sure-gauge
Last edited by Paul on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mike and his Macan

I was hoping someone would recommend a tyre gauge... I run fronts at 34 psi... rears at 37 psi... 1 psi over, the reason being is one that I live in Milton Keynes as Iโ€™m sure you are aware of the Amount RBs, the second reason is that the recommended tyre pressure is a minimum setting.. so mine are recommended 21 inch ... at 33 psi , however this pressure obviously increases with heat/ speed , as a result my tyres are not reaching temperature ( higher psi) due to my short journeys , so the 1 psi increase I put in makes up for the heat I donโ€™t generate. Iv been doing this for the past 7 years due to a chance meeting with a tyre technician/ part time experience day driver. Also as a result my outer edges of my p zeros have always remained in fantastic condition and my tyre wear has always been even across the whole tyre..... it works๐Ÿ˜Š
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Mike and his Macan wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 pm I was hoping someone would recommend a tyre gauge... I run fronts at 34 psi... rears at 37 psi... 1 psi over, the reason being is one that I live in Milton Keynes as Iโ€™m sure you are aware of the Amount RBs, the second reason is that the recommended tyre pressure is a minimum setting.. so mine are recommended 21 inch ... at 33 psi , however this pressure obviously increases with heat/ speed , as a result my tyres are not reaching temperature ( higher psi) due to my short journeys , so the 1 psi increase I put in makes up for the heat I donโ€™t generate. Iv been doing this for the past 7 years due to a chance meeting with a tyre technician/ part time experience day driver. Also as a result my outer edges of my p zeros have always remained in fantastic condition and my tyre wear has always been even across the whole tyre..... it works๐Ÿ˜Š
That makes sense in theory, but 1 psi is pretty insignificant, especially if you are relying on TPMS or tyre compressor gauges! Even in F1 we wouldn't worry much about that kind of delta, even down at 17 psi where 1 psi is much more critical! Nothing wrong with your target pressures, but 33/34 psi would feel and wear the same. You would have to make a much bigger pressure change to significantly influence tyre wear and handling.

But if you want perfection you do need an accurate tyre gauge and if you seriously want to control your pressures to 1 psi accuracy you'll also need to keep adjusting them with changes in ambient temperature/pressure as otherwise they will vary quite a bit - especially in our f***** up climate that can go from 10-30 degC from one day to the next!
Mike and his Macan

:lol: totally agree without the climate! I have to say I really can feel the difference in psi change, I am a bit ocd though!
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Bet you can't....................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

No, you won't feel 1 psi difference, and it won't make any difference to handling or tyre wear, hence my question about the reason for doing it. But if it helps psychologically there's no harm in it.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA