TPMS.... accuracy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 am No, you won't feel 1 psi difference, and it won't make any difference to handling or tyre wear, hence my question about the reason for doing it. But if it helps psychologically there's no harm in it.
Yep 1 psi is merely in the "noise" given all the other factors affecting handling and wear.

But it is good practice to use an accurate tyre gauge and check tyre pressures regularly when cold, as they can change quite considerably with the weather and leaky rims. TPMS is really only for detecting punctures, although they should be accurate within 1 psi anyway. It's just that TPMS is not very convenient when setting pressures as the readings shown are not instantaneous. The way I use TPMS is to set the cold pressures with a gauge and then take note of the TPMS readings (which are usually within 1 psi). Then use the TPMS display to keep an eye on them. If I see that the TPMS readings have changed more than 1 psi from cold, I know to check and adjust for the weather or any slow loss of pressure over time.

I never use garage tyre compressors either. They usually have crap gauges and are a pain to use. So I normally use a bike track pump for top ups at home. Usually only putting in 1 or 2 psi anyway.

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Good tip.... I did wonder about the petrol station gauges..... thanks, bike pump it is!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Peteski wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:45 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:03 am No, you won't feel 1 psi difference, and it won't make any difference to handling or tyre wear, hence my question about the reason for doing it. But if it helps psychologically there's no harm in it.
Yep 1 psi is merely in the "noise" given all the other factors affecting handling and wear.

But it is good practice to use an accurate tyre gauge and check tyre pressures regularly when cold, as they can change quite considerably with the weather and leaky rims. TPMS is really only for detecting punctures, although they should be accurate within 1 psi anyway. It's just that TPMS is not very convenient when setting pressures as the readings shown are not instantaneous. The way I use TPMS is to set the cold pressures with a gauge and then take note of the TPMS readings (which are usually within 1 psi). Then use the TPMS display to keep an eye on them. If I see that the TPMS readings have changed more than 1 psi from cold, I know to check and adjust for the weather or any slow loss of pressure over time.

I never use garage tyre compressors either. They usually have crap gauges and are a pain to use. So I normally use a bike track pump for top ups at home. Usually only putting in 1 or 2 psi anyway.
+1. I do the same re gauge and pump :)
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

If you are really concerned with accuracy of your tyre pressures, then get your OPC or tyre fitter to fill with Nitrogen. If they do it properly they will purge all the air from the tyres and with the nitrogen in the pressures will stay very much constant as it is the moisture when filled with air that causes the variations.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Third stage wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 pm If you are really concerned with accuracy of your tyre pressures, then get your OPC or tyre fitter to fill with Nitrogen. If they do it properly they will purge all the air from the tyres and with the nitrogen in the pressures will stay very much constant as it is the moisture when filled with air that causes the variations.
Yes, nitrogen is a little better, but really not necessary unless you are competing on track professionally. In F1 we experimented with all sorts of gases and found very little advantage over a standard air compressor. Nitrogen in road car tyres is more of a marketing gimmick than a real world benefit, but doesn't do any harm unless you are paying for it!

On a car used for daily driving, none of this stuff matters a toss as long as your pressures are not way off the mark. The manufacturer recommended pressures are very much on the safe side and you could go a fair bit lower for ultimate grip and ride comfort, but at the risk of uneven wear and rim/sidewall damage etc. Basically it's best to stick with the manufacturer recommendations to be safe, but I often used to run my 911 (997.2) rear pressures a fair bit lower as the recommended pressures were insanely high. Even the local OPC used to set them lower.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Someone in a previous post discussing Nitrogen filled tyres also said the Nitrogen molecules were smaller and therefore more likely to โ€œescapeโ€ than the bigger N and O2 mix....(!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

I think you will find Nitrogen molecules are actually larger than O2 mix although the latter weigh more. see 5th para. Very small difference though

https://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf
Paul

Post by Paul »

I stand corrected....although I did loose the will to live after the first couple of paragraphs๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜ณ
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465