Adjusting sensitivity of auto lights...hmmm

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

Evening all,

As time passes with our new GTS I have found a rather annoying trait, the auto lights (LEDs) come on way to early for me, when it's not even darker yet. I like to keep displaying the DRLs longer into the evening rather than the auto lights switch on.

In our TTS we can change when the auto lights come on....can this be done in the Macan?

Thanks

Paul

Post by Paul »

If it can, let me know please; like you, mine come on too early.....and don’t then switch off (when you’ve come out of the tunnel for example) for ages.
(Mind you, I wasn’t aware the TTS had that option - must go and have a play with ours later.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

No, you can't adjust them and Yes,they come on at every opportunity. Only answer is to switch the damn thing off 😡 It is the single and only thing that I don't like about my Macan 😊
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

An ex-Police instructor once recommended leaving auto lights off as there is a risk that the lights coming on can fool someone else into thinking you are flashing them to turn across your path........
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

The DRL`s are on when auto lights are switched off anyway so its not as if other vehicles wont see you if you forget to turn on your main lights.
Last edited by Sidscott on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 am An ex-Police instructor once recommended leaving auto lights off as there is a risk that the lights coming on can fool someone else into thinking you are flashing them to turn across your path........
Hmm, well if I weigh the tiny, tiny probability of that scenario vs that of me forgetting to turn on the lights under commonplace marginal conditions and getting involved in some incident as a result then I know which one I'm going to prefer. It's also the case that many more cars are showing brightish driving lights these days than ever used to be the case, so other drivers are used to see approaching lights, even in daylight hours.

But I'd dearly love to find a way of adjusting the sensitivity of the auto-lights - I don't appreciate being the only car on a busy road in brightish overcast conditions to be showing full headlights. I'd estimate that my lights often come on at a solar irradiance of 100W/sqm, if not higher, which is just OTT. (Remembering you can still see adequately at dusk at 1-2W/sqm, though not suggesting for a second that you don't need full lights at those light levels. An auto-on level of 30-50 is probably about right, but especially if you also have bright always-on driving lights)
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I'd prefer to be seen than not, who cares if you're the only one on the road with dipped beam on.

There are too many cars here in UK who's drivers do not switch their dipped beam on when necessary. That's more of an issue in my eyes.
And don't get me started on fog lights! :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Guy

Post by Guy »

If it's that much of a worry try a bit of tape over the sensor on the reverse of the rear view mirror - left hand side :lol:
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Would that not fool the sensor into thinking it was dark Guy?😀
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ray G wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:03 am Would that not fool the sensor into thinking it was dark Guy?😀
Oh yes, I really should think these things through :?

I don't have a problem with the auto-light setting in my car. Perhaps the glow from the status LEDs of my dashcam (fitted just in front of the mirror) trick the sensor into thinking it's lighter than it really is? :lol: