Adjusting sensitivity of auto lights...hmmm

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
John_M

Post by John_M »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:26 am An ex-Police instructor once recommended leaving auto lights off as there is a risk that the lights coming on can fool someone else into thinking you are flashing them to turn across your path........
I can understand that on car I had back in 2001 - they would switch on/off going under bridges, however I haven't noticed that on more recent cars.

I have heard the reason the lights come on earlier than you expect is because they take into account the angle of light hitting sensor - if it is too low then likely moving in and out of shadows which may make you invisible but still bright enough for you to see well.

Personally I just so used to them coming on I don't really notice if they are on or off, and I suspect most road users are now used to automatic headlights they don't notice people with them on in day

Guy

Post by Guy »

John_M wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:01 pm Personally I just so used to them coming on I don't really notice if they are on or off, and I suspect most road users are now used to automatic headlights they don't notice people with them on in day
Lots of DRLs look like headlights anyway. When I lived in Denmark I fitted an extra relay to my wife's Golf to put the headlights on with the ignition (DRLs were required by law there) - it was an official VW mod and I think it was supposed to put the lights on at a reduced brightness, but I could never tell between that and full headlights. I never bothered to remove it on return to UK.
Col M

Post by Col M »

I don't mind the headlights coming on as much as having the PCM switch to night (even when the headlights were set to off).

Now run PCM in day mode... until the nights draw in.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Guy

Post by Guy »

Col M wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 pm Now run PCM in day mode... until the nights draw in.
Me too. It's not too bright even when it does get dark out.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Col M wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 pm I don't mind the headlights coming on as much as having the PCM switch to night (even when the headlights were set to off).

Now run PCM in day mode... until the nights draw in.
Further to my last. The auto headlights used to annoy me when living overseas, because every time it switched on automatically I'd get a message in the MFD reminding me that the lights were switched to inverted beam pattern (for driving on the right). I would notice this much more that the lights coming on!
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Light sensor appears to be in the windscreen around camera/rain sensor area.................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Guy

Post by Guy »

bennachie wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:43 pm Light sensor appears to be in the windscreen around camera/rain sensor area.................
Then what is the sensor in the left hand side of the rear view mirror?
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Auto dipping?
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Guy

Post by Guy »

bennachie wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 pm Auto dipping?
I don't have that. Maybe the opening in the mirror is for those that do. If I find time tomorrow I will sit in the car with the lights on auto, cover the hole with my finger and see what happens!
John_M

Post by John_M »

Guy wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:06 pmLots of DRLs look like headlights anyway. When I lived in Denmark I fitted an extra relay to my wife's Golf to put the headlights on with the ignition (DRLs were required by law there) - it was an official VW mod and I think it was supposed to put the lights on at a reduced brightness, but I could never tell between that and full headlights. I never bothered to remove it on return to UK.
Sounds like might be something like DIm Dip we had in UK