Winter wheels and tyres and Sport plus

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Well...at the end of this month, car goes in to have the winter wheels fitted and the sport plus retro fit!
When I specced the car originally, didn't think I'd want sport plus, and I certainly didn't like the carbuncle on the dash (each to their own...) but didn't realise until recently it could be retrofitted.

In preparation for this, I've now started putting the car in manual mode to get more comfortable with that way of driving. Interestingly, when in manual mode, when slowing the car with the engine, the gears don't downshift, but they do when braking...everyday is a school day....
Macan
Taycan Turbo

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Would not expect the gears to downshift when slowing down as you are in manual after all, but when braking, are you sure the car has not reverted back to auto because of being too long in manual without changing gear?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Yep, sure...I've flicked it over to the left to manual mode

in fact, even when engine slowing, it's downshifting. I can see the logic why - ensure's it's in the right gear for moving off again (in a pure manual car, it would stall but `i guess this can't happen with a PDK?)....and once accelerating, it's certainly stays in gear until I manually change.
I've also noticed it won't let me downshift if the revs are low (ie under 1k). I'm betting it won't let me over-rev either

Probably best described as "manual mode, unless the driver does something stupid..."
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

There’s also a double whammy inasmuch as if, in auto mode, you elect to, say, overtake by manually downshifting and then immediately blat the throttle the system automatically kicks downs as well. Result it drops down a number of cogs yet again. And yes, there is a rev limiter! As I have found out. 😬
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
jimmy2chins

Post by jimmy2chins »

neilj007 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am Well...at the end of this month, car goes in to have the winter wheels fitted and the sport plus retro fit!
When I specced the car originally, didn't think I'd want sport plus, and I certainly didn't like the carbuncle on the dash (each to their own...) but didn't realise until recently it could be retrofitted.

In preparation for this, I've now started putting the car in manual mode to get more comfortable with that way of driving. Interestingly, when in manual mode, when slowing the car with the engine, the gears don't downshift, but they do when braking...everyday is a school day....
Hi Neil, can I ask which winter wheel package you have gone for, wheel size and design?
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

jimmy2chins wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 pm
neilj007 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am Well...at the end of this month, car goes in to have the winter wheels fitted and the sport plus retro fit!

Hi Neil, can I ask which winter wheel package you have gone for, wheel size and design?
Sure - 19" turbo, £2,300 from Porsche Swindon. I think the rears are 265 rather than 295
Macan
Taycan Turbo
jimmy2chins

Post by jimmy2chins »

neilj007 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 am
jimmy2chins wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Sure - 19" turbo, £2,300 from Porsche Swindon. I think the rears are 265 rather than 295
Thanks Neil, Im guessing this is just wheels without Tyres? What tyres are you fitting?
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

In the winter wheels/tyres brochure, Macan Turbo 19” wheels come with 235s on the front and 255s on the rear. Fitted price including VAT is quoted at £2,929. You should be able to negotiate a bit of discount on that though.

Then there’s the charge for swapping over, and storage...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

Wow! :o

Snow tires at the end of September!!!

You must live in the UK Alps!!! :lol:

I thought the Gulf Stream helped to moderate winters in the UK?

I live just west of Boston, MA on the other side of the pond and typically switch
to snow tires in mid-November or sometimes as late as December 1st. We typically
don't get any snow that persists til some time in December.

...maybe it's all part of global warming?

:)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I’m switching to winter tyres/wheels on my Carrera T in mid-October. It’s not that I’m expecting snow in October, but it’s more a question of when the temperature may start dipping regularly down to 7 degrees centigrade or below. ❄️
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018