Swapped SD for S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:35 pm
derekm wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:40 pm
GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm HA! I swapped my SD for an S after seeing that diesel wasn't for me. I got offered and accepted exactly the same spec as you on a brand new Volcano Grey coloured car from my OPC. I mean identical! Lol! Ignore the pano. Just enjoy the far better experience of a real Porsche V6 and not the diesel!
Crikey, that's more than a coincidence. When was that? Slightly weird spec, isn't it?

Your comment "a real Porsche V6" gives me hope that I've done the right thing, although I am fairly confident.
I also got sports exhaust in black. Did you get that added??! Like you said, more than a coincidence! Lol!
The black sports exhaust was specified on the car as it stood in stock. I have added nothing. As far as I know, I wasn't able to do so. But I will now ask about the PS+ (see above).

Deleted User 1895

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:01 pm To me any Porsche GTS model is best kept fairly basic to go with the pure driving ethos of the variant.

So I do not think you are really missing out, OK so you are 20bhp down but an inline chip could solve that and yes a GTS does ride and handle better but its all relative.

BTW
PS+ is only a software item that can be easily added by your OPC, maybe a bit of extra haggling can get them to turn it on!
Thanks. I didn't know that. I'll ask.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

I didn't get power steering +. I had it on my SD but I don't really miss it. But if it's a software jiggle then, why not, see if they can turn it on. I may ask if/when it goes in for anything. No idea how or who does it but...why not! Trust me though...having been in a diesel and then seeing what a petrol can do, it's a smile generator!
Deleted User 1895

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:14 pm I didn't get power steering +. I had it on my SD but I don't really miss it. But if it's a software jiggle then, why not, see if they can turn it on. I may ask if/when it goes in for anything. No idea how or who does it but...why not! Trust me though...having been in a diesel and then seeing what a petrol can do, it's a smile generator!
Thanks, very helpful, looking forward to it with even greater confidence now.
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

I swapped my SD for the S last year and can honestly say its the best thing i have done. I love the sound, performance and fuel consumption (not). Its very difficult not to open the window when starting up for the first time in the morning so you can listen to the lovely garble you get. I would be interested to know how the GTS sounds in comparison.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

One final thing, and as you probably would have gleaned from the forum and from the comment above, when it comes to fuel consumption the SD is like the person at the gym on the treadmill that just keeps on going (headphones and all). The S is more like the person watching and wishing they could do the same but can squat far more than the athlete on the treadmill could wish for! :lol:
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

As to your original post - I think your getting a decent deal here, I know your taking a big hit, but year one is the biggest one, your losing over £10k in VAT alone, so you have to expect a £15k hit in year one in my view, or the OPC is making the money somewhere else?

As for the difference between a GTS and an S? - I don't think there is enough of a difference that you would notice it enough daily to really care about it if you buy an S - on a track a GTS may be half a length quicker than an S, but on a normal everyday road it's irrelevant, it's all in your mind, but that can be a big influence on it's own to some?

Spec wise I tent to look for things I want, rather than things I don't. So if I really wanted something that was not on the list I would miss it, but if I got extra things I didn't care for then it would be no big deal. The pano is one of those I can take or leave, and do think people may want it, but they will not pay an extra £2k second hand for it, so I would never spec one at that money, I'd rather have the extra head room and lower weight and COG.

As previously mentioned, this is your money and your choice, it's hard to find two cars specked exactly the same in any Macan, so it shows we are all very different, and spec our cars accordingly.

The only other thing I'd add would be I'd look at how long you intend to keep this car and have a think about the resales then - so if your going to keep it 3 years, think three years from now and how much will you get back on the GTS Vs the S, then work out the saving your making now and add them to those figures to get as best an estimate as possible about the total depreciation over those three years of the two cars - that would probably be my deciding factor as I view the cars as very close, and both a good buy to begin with.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy either, and I also believe your doing the right thing, because what is the point in feeling you have missed something when you can afford to sort it with some extra cash you won't miss? If you would miss it you would not be looking at a new Porsche after 12 months! ;)

James
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

jesim1 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:17 pm As to your original post - I think your getting a decent deal here, I know your taking a big hit, but year one is the biggest one, your losing over £10k in VAT alone, so you have to expect a £15k hit in year one in my view, or the OPC is making the money somewhere else?

As for the difference between a GTS and an S? - I don't think there is enough of a difference that you would notice it enough daily to really care about it if you buy an S - on a track a GTS may be half a length quicker than an S, but on a normal everyday road it's irrelevant, it's all in your mind, but that can be a big influence on it's own to some?

Spec wise I tent to look for things I want, rather than things I don't. So if I really wanted something that was not on the list I would miss it, but if I got extra things I didn't care for then it would be no big deal. The pano is one of those I can take or leave, and do think people may want it, but they will not pay an extra £2k second hand for it, so I would never spec one at that money, I'd rather have the extra head room and lower weight and COG.

As previously mentioned, this is your money and your choice, it's hard to find two cars specked exactly the same in any Macan, so it shows we are all very different, and spec our cars accordingly.

The only other thing I'd add would be I'd look at how long you intend to keep this car and have a think about the resales then - so if your going to keep it 3 years, think three years from now and how much will you get back on the GTS Vs the S, then work out the saving your making now and add them to those figures to get as best an estimate as possible about the total depreciation over those three years of the two cars - that would probably be my deciding factor as I view the cars as very close, and both a good buy to begin with.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy either, and I also believe your doing the right thing, because what is the point in feeling you have missed something when you can afford to sort it with some extra cash you won't miss? If you would miss it you would not be looking at a new Porsche after 12 months! ;)

James
Sorry mate, I'm one of those guys. Are you aware that "your" denotes ownership and "you're" is a truncated form of you are? Please, please, for the love of God! My eyes!!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GMAN75 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm
jesim1 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:17 pm As to your original post - I think your getting a decent deal here, I know your taking a big hit, but year one is the biggest one, your losing over £10k in VAT alone, so you have to expect a £15k hit in year one in my view, or the OPC is making the money somewhere else?

James
Sorry mate, I'm one of those guys. Are you aware that "your" denotes ownership and "you're" is a truncated form of you are? Please, please, for the love of God! My eyes!!
https://en-gb.facebook.com/RedundantPro ... rsSociety/ :lol: :lol:

And apologies for the deviation.
Last edited by Dandock on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1895

James
Thanks, James, that's very helpful and positive.

I can (just about) rationalise the numbers on this deal and they work for me.

With regard to the new spec, the car has all the essentials that I would look for and then the luxuries that I don't value. As you say, we are all different and my essentials are: nice colour, Bi-Xenons, air suspension, upgraded wheels, upgraded seats, reversing camera and front seat heating. This new S ticks all those boxes and anything else falls in the category "nice to have", of which I have plenty.

Sounds like I am doing the right thing.