Swapped SD for S

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

There seems to quite a few people who are evangelical about pano roofs. For balance I wouldn't care if I never saw another one. Who wants to drive around in a pope mobile anyway.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Rab J wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:35 pm There seems to quite a few people who are evangelical about pano roofs. For balance I wouldn't care if I never saw another one. Who wants to drive around in a pope mobile anyway.
While I've no desire to drive around in a pope mobile (especially the one they had in Dublin last week) I do prefer my cars to have a Pano Roof. This is my preference and as its my money paying for it I'll have what I want. If you don't want one don't buy one, that's your choice but don't be surprised if its a little harder to sell down the road.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

Rab J wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:35 pm There seems to quite a few people who are evangelical about pano roofs. For balance I wouldn't care if I never saw another one.
I didn't have a pano roof on my SD. I knew I'd never open it and, if I want open air driving, the wife's got a Boxster. Many people seem to buy it because the Macan interior is dark. My logic is: if you go for black leather and privacy glass, what do you expect? Personally, when I spec'd my SD, I didn't choose privacy glass (I gave up dealing drugs some time ago) and I chose Luxor leather which went beautifully with the Carmine Red and meant I didn't need a pano roof to brighten it up.

However, my new S has black leather and privacy glass - gulp - so I would actually have preferred it to come with a pano roof! Never mind, at least I can now go back to my old profession and try to make good that depreciation on the SD. :lol:
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Miopyk wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm
Rab J wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:35 pm There seems to quite a few people who are evangelical about pano roofs. For balance I wouldn't care if I never saw another one. Who wants to drive around in a pope mobile anyway.
While I've no desire to drive around in a pope mobile (especially the one they had in Dublin last week) I do prefer my cars to have a Pano Roof. This is my preference and as its my money paying for it I'll have what I want. If you don't want one don't buy one, that's your choice but don't be surprised if its a little harder to sell down the road.
Certainly not wanting to put anyone down for their personal preferences, but it does seem as many people spec a pano roof for resale as those that think they actually want it for themselves. Just wanted to add a bit of balance so that no one feels obliged to spec a 2k extra they didn't want, that will never add 2k to the trade in value. Think, the kings new clothes :o
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

derekm wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:40 pm
GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm HA! I swapped my SD for an S after seeing that diesel wasn't for me. I got offered and accepted exactly the same spec as you on a brand new Volcano Grey coloured car from my OPC. I mean identical! Lol! Ignore the pano. Just enjoy the far better experience of a real Porsche V6 and not the diesel!
Crikey, that's more than a coincidence. When was that? Slightly weird spec, isn't it?

Your comment "a real Porsche V6" gives me hope that I've done the right thing, although I am fairly confident.
I swapped mine over at the end of March this year. However, I love the petrol S. Drive it in Sport, lowered and just enjoy it. All your doubts will disappear. I also got sports exhaust in black. Did you get that added??! Like you said, more than a coincidence! Lol!
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

No......
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Pan roof is nice, but not a must have.............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

There are some evangelists about (apologies for another pope reference) in respect to the pano. I am one of those ppl who just doesn't get it. Firstly the weight at the wrong end of the car - please don't give me the SUV spiel - and secondly for the 3 days a year we have a nice day to open it up the noise and buffetting will make us revert to the airco. Horses for courses.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Rab J wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:26 pm
Miopyk wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm
Certainly not wanting to put anyone down for their personal preferences, but it does seem as many people spec a pano roof for resale as those that think they actually want it for themselves. Just wanted to add a bit of balance so that no one feels obliged to spec a 2k extra they didn't want, that will never add 2k to the trade in value. Think, the kings new clothes :o
Sorry, I snapped at you a little bit. To clarify, when I'm not in a hurry I quite like having the roof and windows open on a hotish day as I like convertibles. Because of this I wouldn't look twice at a Macan without one no matter how cheap it was. The fact it helps resale or at least appears to make it a more attractive proposition on the second hand market is a bonus.

I do agree that too many people spec their cars to minimise the hit 2 or 3 years down the line. My advise, life's to short, buy what you want (within reason), enjoy what you've got and don't worry what other people think.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

The other factor to consider in specifying a pano roof is that it lowers the headroom in the back by an inch or two. Motoring journalists mention this apparent lack of headroom as a minor criticism of the Macan. In my SD, without the pano, I never had any complaints from rear seat passengers about the headroom but I wonder whether I would have if it had the pano roof.

I had a short list of 5 GTS's before going left field and buying the S: all those GTS's coincidentally had a pano roof, so it does seem de riguer.