Caught my eye...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Not missing the 'bigger issue', I appreciate the 'coloured gentleman in the woodpile' scenario. However, there are no 'clean' options in the 'good to drive' or even the 'not so good' areas. BEV is not a solution as the electricity still has to be generated and in this country's case, politicians have given away our world lead in relatively 'clean' energy production by effectively mothballing our nuclear generating capacity. Until fusion is harnessed succesfully we are left with the 'toys' of solar, wind (both jokes as they don't work at peak demand in winter cyclonic conditions) and ocean/tidal the latter of which has been sidelined as subsidies have been poured into the other two to make money for the developers/generators at the expense of the consumer - predominantly under Mr Milliband's Energy 'Secretaryship' and has been perpetuated by subsequent governments.

Wow, that turned in to a bit of a rant...................sorry.

I like a nice motor. I enjoy driving. It will all change in a relatively short time, so I shall make the most of it whilst I can..................
Quite liked the I-Pace BUT there is another bag of eels. Battery range, 380 miles? Not quite in Spring or Autumn, especially if its raining, no chance in Summer or Winter as little necessities like heat, wipers air conditioning etc deplete capacity.

Can't beat the sound of a nice ICE either.

Time marches on, I still can't get the evocative smell of Castrol 'R' out of my nostrils and the glorious pull of a large capacity multi cylinder two stroke on song............................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:51 pm Not missing the 'bigger issue', I appreciate the 'coloured gentleman in the woodpile' scenario. However, there are no 'clean' options in the 'good to drive' or even the 'not so good' areas. BEV is not a solution as the electricity still has to be generated......
The term "marginal gains" applies here i.e. there are and will be ever clean[er] options.

BEVs are already about 30-50% cleaner on overall lifecycle emissions, even accounting for moderately dirty electricity generation. Even in countries with the dirtiest of coal powered electricity generation (like Poland), BEVs are still around 20% better. In countries like Sweden and France, with efficient nuclear/renewables, they are up to 80% better. The UK lies somewhere in the middle ground, but renewables are now a very significant annual contribution.

Future ICE cars and certainly PHEVs will become a little cleaner too. Imagine if we still had 70s or 80s ICE technology with the volume of traffic on today's roads. The pollution would be truly horrific. Same goes for electricity generation, it is getting ever cleaner too, regardless of nuclear policy. Solar and wind are far from "toys" either, but that's way OT.

It's not going to be the end of the world for performance cars when these new regulations come into force. On the contrary, they will almost certainly continue to improve, using ever better technology. Live in the past by all means, I enjoyed it too, but the future looks far more interesting to me.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:51 pm
I like a nice motor. I enjoy driving. It will all change in a relatively short time, so I shall make the most of it whilst I can..................
Quite liked the I-Pace BUT there is another bag of eels. Battery range, 380 miles? Not quite in Spring or Autumn, especially if its raining, no chance in Summer or Winter as little necessities like heat, wipers air conditioning etc deplete capacity.

Can't beat the sound of a nice ICE either.
I too like a nice motor and enjoy driving. My solution: A classic old-school 911 for occasional summer fun (low mileage, so not burning much fuel) and a Tesla for daily driving. Both are great cars in completely different ways and for the daily grind I'm not missing anything about a petrol/diesel engine. Range is a non-issue for many people (not everyone), but they just don't realise it yet!
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

I most certainly am not living in the past....................it's just that 'the future' is not mine......................I shall enjoy 'the present' whilst it (and me) are still here.......
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'