Caught my eye...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 pm Beat the new rules... Porsche registrations up 61%!

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-carre ... =applenews
The interesting thing here is that nobody wants to drive a cleaner car, like it's a bad thing. I'm not at all surprised, but the whole thing is nuts!

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:40 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 pm Beat the new rules... Porsche registrations up 61%!

The interesting thing here is that nobody wants to drive a cleaner car, like it's a bad thing. I'm not at all surprised, but the whole thing is nuts!
Driving a cleaner car is no bad thing but early adopters of new kit are clearly outweighed by those who prefer the tried and tested versions. That goes for EVs too.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:40 pm

I think everyone would like to drive a clean or cleaner car but, as I'm sure you will accept, the choice is severely limited by several factors.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
RAA

Post by RAA »

We'll be back to riding horses, the way things are going.
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

BTW I run a accredited product test lab, and see this logic all the time.

The vast majority of standards do not reflect "real world" conditions especially the older ones but they are still very valid as they allow comparisons between products or materials.

Just look on here and the difference people get on their MPG I average 35MPG in my SD yet I see people getting well over 40 what is the test meant to replicate - obviously none of them looking at the MPG figures quoted.

I do think VW broke the spirit rather than the letter of the standard

PS if two labs are able to get the same results that's a very good indication of repeatability which is the key quality measure of any lab
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
John_M

Post by John_M »

rossman999 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:31 pm To be confrontational

The problem is not the car companies but the standards and people wrongly assuming that test results are meant to relate to real world conditions.
I would argue the tests results are a useful measure between two different models.
To be a sensible comparative measure then both models must have similar responses outside the tests - I don't think you can assume that even on similar vehicles, especially as manufacturers have been gaming the tests so Goodhart's_law kicks in or just outright cheating them - hopefully the new tests are much harder to game, but I suspect there are some really good minds looking into making figures better.
Deleted User 1874

rossman999 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:37 pm
I do think VW broke the spirit rather than the letter of the standard
No, they went a LOT further than that in using software to modify the mapping specifically for the test procedure only and then reverting to different mapping on the road. Blatant underhand cheating as was revealed under investigation.

The tests themselves were never a good comparator for how different cars with the same test results would actually compare on the road and hence why they are changing for the better too.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Does anyone who buys a Porsche, AMG or M Series BMW actually compare fuel consumption?..........................................

Do prospective purchasers think, 'i'll buy a 718 instead of a 981 because the fuel consumption (on paper) is better'.........................

No, thought not.......
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Deleted User 1874

bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 am Does anyone who buys a Porsche, AMG or M Series BMW actually compare fuel consumption?..........................................

Do prospective purchasers think, 'i'll buy a 718 instead of a 981 because the fuel consumption (on paper) is better'.........................

No, thought not.......
That's totally missing the much bigger issue. But I think the harsh reality is that most people don't really care about any of the pollution or consumption, especially if it means compromising their own personal driving experience in the here and now. Otherwise you would see a trend of people actively waiting for lower emission cars to be released, rather than falling over themselves to buy a new car ahead of the changes.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

As I general rule I have always knocked 10% the manufacturers figure, and seemed pretty much to be right.... although driving styles come into play . I guess I’m one of those people that do take mpg into consideration when buying a car... however the GTS changed that🙄.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊