Rear Number Plate

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

How is everyone's rear number plate fixed? The raised section in the middle of the lower rear panel makes sticking difficult and there appear to be no 'ready fixing' points. I know BMs have a purpose made plastic plug system..............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Slightly crooked in my case.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mine's fitted (by the supplying OPC) with a couple of self-tappers into the plastic. My preference would be self adhesive pads or a 'tasteful' number plate surround, hence no fixings showing.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Guy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:28 pm Mine's fitted (by the supplying OPC) with a couple of self-tappers into the plastic.
+1. With the surface of one fatigued and peeling away.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Just tapped into the lower rear panel? Is it painted?
What is behind it?
Think i'll have to be inventive with the sticky.................

OPC had stuck it but the contours make it 'weird'

As the front has a dedicated panel, I am surprised the rear is not similar.....
Guy

Post by Guy »

bennachie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 pm Just tapped into the lower rear panel? Is it painted?
What is behind it?
Think i'll have to be inventive with the sticky.................

OPC had stuck it but the contours make it 'weird'

As the front has a dedicated panel, I am surprised the rear is not similar.....
No, mine is not painted. There is a bit of a void behind and then probably the re-enforcing metal beam across (see the retrofit tow-bar threads on the US forum for pictures of the rear bumper removed: https://www.macanforum.com/forum/appear ... y-gts.html)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

OPC fitted, with 2 standard number plate self tapping screws and caps approximately a quarter of the way in from both sides no problem but should be able to comfortably fit with a half dozen double sided plate stickers and no screws. First ensure the area is clean from any contamination with an alcohol wipe and get it accurately lined up before you attach as it's hard to remove once contact is made.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Caster

Post by Caster »

bennachie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:20 pm How is everyone's rear number plate fixed? The raised section in the middle of the lower rear panel makes sticking difficult..
Had my rear one stuck on and the sides kept coming loose because of the larger gap at sides to bridge - compared to raised section you mention in middle.
Discussed with Service guy and easy fix was to put 2 sticky fixers (one on top of other) at each side and that makes distance equal with centre part which only needs one layer of sticky fixer.
Stayed fixed like that now on mine for over 18 months.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Thanks Caster, that was the solution I thought might work...................
Colscot

Post by Colscot »

Just fitted plate last week used low modulas clear silicon and taped both ends then left overnight, did same with previous Macan and never moved no holes look much better