Cayman... GTS ...bye bye manual!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Radial tyres?!!!

I think you mean Crossplies.............

Avon 'Wide Safeties' were great.

'The Great Old Days' wern't all bad. You can relieve them in a Caterham............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I totally agree with traffic problems, I wouldn’t buy a manual unless it was a weekend toy, but must say I had a Cayman s over the bank holiday weekend with manual transmission.. and absolutely loved it brought back great memories and showed in some regards I haven’t forgotten how to drive one, the problem being it made me drive way to fast , but like I say .... not every day for me anymore.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:36 pm ... showed in some regards I haven’t forgotten how to drive one ...
And it's a useful skill to retain, for when you have to drive crappy hire cars in foreign parts :lol:
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I love the PDK. Much better than a BMW I drove recently. Having said that I also loved the manual Golf R I got rid of a year ago which was my first manual in soo many years.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 pm Manual gearboxes are pants. They are a thing of the past along with chokes and radial tyres. Driving in the traffic of 2018 is not the same as the 1950's and 60's which all the 'purists' yearn for. Even then, most manuals didn't have syncromesh and I bet most of the boring bearded purists wouldn't have a clue how to engage second gear. 'But I have control in a manual, I decide when to change gear not a computer' they cry. OK, fine if that's a concern get your ABS removed, the aircon, satnav, fuel injection and fit some Webers.

The good old days were crap, I was there. No offence meant by the way, if you favour a manual box that is your choice and good luck to your left foot on the M6 should you ever have the misfortune to travel/park on it. I used to drive 30-40,000 miles a year in manuals and had to stop as I had an RSI which made my left foot go into spasm.

Torque converter auto's and PDK are so good these days they are quicker than a human can swap cogs.
I totally agree with you Cheshire Cat.

I had as a a company car a 2002 model BMW 325d manual that I drove for 90,000 miles over 2 years. It had the heaviest clutch that I've ever experienced and it gave me RSI in my left leg that I still suffer with 16 years on. I would never go back to a manual box after that bad experience.

I think you mean crossply tyres though. ;) :idea:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

I have one of each - PDK in McCann and manual in 718. I'm one of those who prefer a manual in a sports car. I could count on one hand the number of times our McCann has had the gear lever in the left hand slot. It's too easy to be lazy with a PDK 'box...
Macan S D
718 S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

happy days wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am I'm one of those who prefer a manual in a sports car.

+1. Am loving being back in a manual with my Carrera T after three PDKs (Macan, Panamera and 991.1 C2).

Nearly 7,000 miles in the first 5 months & right leg feels fine so far! :?

Only really do serious cog-changing when enjoying some twisty roads or if stuck in slow-moving traffic.

If the above reports are true, I'm in one of the last manual gearbox Porsches (excluding GT cars) and I quite like that. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I think they will come back... I think the issue is that the engine in the cayman mated to the manuals means they don’t hit emissions targets! Hence at the moment PDK only?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
happy days

Post by happy days »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:38 pm I think they will come back... I think the issue is that the engine in the cayman mated to the manuals means they don’t hit emissions targets! Hence at the moment PDK only?
I'd be surprised at that given the new Caymans (Caymen?) are all F4T engines?
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think it is more that 90% of customers specify PDK in any case so what's the business reason to continue offering manual?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate