Macan 2.0, mine for a day.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I had one for a day today.
I was pleasantly surprised at its liveliness when the question was asked of it. It caught me out slightly when accelerating at Motorway cruising speed. It needed two downshifts to get to the power band. SC might have been a useful addition whilst on my SD Chrono is merely a novelty.
The car today had base suspension and 19" rims and whilst the ride might have been different to mine which has 21s on PASM I wasn't really bothered. Fuel consumption was about 10% more than my SD.
Overall a very useful car that just needs a little more grunt or perhaps even just a Sports Exhaust to improve the experience.
Last edited by Tom 2000 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice to see a bit of affection recently for the ‘junior’ Macan :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Macman

Post by Macman »

I had a 2.0 for a week during the phone booster incident when our S was held hostage. Performance was surprisingly good BUT the lack of any exhaust sound track, compared to our PSE equipped S, was a big minus for me. It was also grey with a black interior, which personally I don’t like. So for me I found it a dreary car, albeit very capable.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

How many on here fitted cardboard flickers against their spokes on their bikes as a kid?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm How many on here fitted cardboard flickers against their spokes on their bikes as a kid?
+1

Only took it off last year when I sold my bike.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 pm
Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm How many on here fitted cardboard flickers against their spokes on their bikes as a kid?
+1

Only took it off last year when I sold my bike.
ROTFL.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
happy days

Post by happy days »

Our SD is in Belfast getting some attention to a radiator under warranty. I left it in on Monday evening and went back to collect it yesterday, but was told that they had to order more parts and I would have a loaner for a few days.

Black Macan - similar spec to ours, black leather interior with the exception of a pano roof. TBH, I didn't notice the improvement that I read forum members report from the extra airiness - even with the blind open. I should have noticed that it was a 2.0 when looking at the fuel gauge - three quarters full with a 295 mile range left. 1200 miles on the clock.

On the motorway home, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't an SD - there is a real lack of torque and the PDK dropped at least two or three gears on each throttle stab. Also, the engine seemed to be rough at mid-range; 3,000-4,000 revs you could clearly hear it. In our SD, to speed up you press on the throttle and away it goes, maybe dropping one cog in the process. The 2.0 dropped quite a few - often down to 4th.

I got bored with this roughness on the motorway and decided to go cross country home, via some twisties. The 2.0 engine must be a good deal lighter than the SD as it appeared lighter in steering feel on the twisty road home. But it still needed a lot of revving to get it to comply, which I didn't like.

I have a petrol 718S and it is an awful lot better with lots and lots of torque available low down. It actually drives quite like a diesel in its characteristics with the low down torque.

However, I agree with earlier comments; if you want a second car and are happy enough with the badge over the performance, then it would probably work. But for us, who do a lot of motorway miles, the SD fits the bill perfectly, and it substantially more refined as an overall package.
Macan S D
718 S
James76

Post by James76 »

I had one recently for a long weekend on test, 21inch alloys, white with pano roof, basic springs. I though the overall car was fine, but as lots of others have said, the engine isn’t powerful enough. Up to about 60 or 70 fine but then the real lack of guts is evident and it’s slow at motorway speeds. Economy therefore suffers as I spent a lot of time in low gears with the throttle nailed to get up speed, and alas it felt like Passat diesel could have out dragged it.

Overall as a town car fine, but then that’s not the point is it? Another 50 BHP and it would have been a much better car.