Macan 2.0, mine for a day.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Today was service day for my Turbo and I ended up in a base 2.0 for the day.

Its been a while since I have driven one of these but I thought that I would have an open mind about it.

Exterior it was met black with PASM, xenons and 21” Classics, interior was full leather with 14 way seats and ACC.

The leather quality was not as good as that in my Turbo but perfectly acceptable if compared to other marques.

Off I went, a bit of a crawl out of Kendal heading north towards Windermere. Arround town the engine felt a bit lethergic with a long push of the throttle being required to get the car moving. Switching into Sport mode gave a much better throttle response.

On to a section if national speed limit road and the throttle was floored, acceleration can best be described as brisk right up to 70mph. The ride quality was noticably harsher on the 21” classics when compared to the air and 20” spyders on my Turbo.

Tootling along in traffic the base was perfectly adequate and on a steep incline up from Grasmere towards Thirlmere it accelerated pretty good to get past a few OAPs tootling along in their own world.

Back road into Keswick for a walkabout then back via a mixed set of roads to Kendal and by this time I was quite used to the 254 bhp available underfoot.

I actually enjoyed tootling around in the base Macan, traffic conditions were such that it did not matter much what was available under the right foot except for two sections of open road, I did have to forgo a coupke of overtaking opportunities due to lack of power but hey ho it did not really matter as I probably not have attemped the overtake if I was in the Turbo.

Now back home I still think that the 2.0 is underpowered but as a second car or one where quality and image is paramount then it is a very viable option.

Will I change my stance on the 2.0, no, I still think that an S or GTS is still a better option, the 2.0 today averaged only 27 mpg according to the MFD.

You pays your money and makes your choice.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Ha ha

I saw the title and saw the author and thought ‘here we go’ 😀

But to be fair I think that is a pretty spot on assessment of the 2.0

It won’t set your pants on fire but as a premium family car with a decent turn of pace and fantastic fit, finish and handling it does the job perfectly

We also only used to get high 20s to the gallon but now on over 16k, we rarely get less than low 30s and often mid to high 30s. That is also often with 4 on board

Thanks for the assessment - I must try and get a shot in the turbo, I expect I will not want to hand the keys back
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

gtipirelli wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:44 pm Ha ha

I saw the title and saw the author and thought ‘here we go’ 😀

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice balanced assessment, Col. :) You must be mellowing. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Yep

It was a hard day going so slow and being stuck in traffic.
Being in the Turbo would not have helped.

You can easily tell the schoolkids are back at skool, all the OAPs were out, in the Lake District in their Jazz’s, small Toyotas and ancient Rover 200’s going at precisely 10 mph below the posted speed limit or at a maximum of 45mph and the obligatory braking at every bend because they cannot turn the steering wheel fast enough at any speed above 30 mph.

Mind you I did get a freebie from the dealer, the screw that was embedded in the tread of one of the tyres, it had not penetrated the tyre it was just stuck in the tread, lucky me.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Interested to know, was this the “existing” 2.0 model or the facelift? I missed a call from my OPC yesterday, saying the new model would be in their showroom tomorrow!
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

davetronic wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:21 am Interested to know, was this the “existing” 2.0 model or the facelift? I missed a call from my OPC yesterday, saying the new model would be in their showroom tomorrow!
No way will they be lending out a facelift Macan so soon. If an OPC gets one, it'll take pride of place in their showroom.

If they're arriving at OPCs this week, I look forward to the pics...! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Spoke a bit too soon - Think "her indoors" got the message confused. Apparently the facelift Macan will be on the configurator tomorrow, not in the showroom! Damn.
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Was going to say..............................FAcelift models wont get here until February...............
Upper twenties for that sort of pootle is poor, my S is doing 24/5 for that sort of thing. I still tend to drive it like my Cayman though................

Just had my first 'night time' excursion with the LED PDLS+............................... wow!
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

bennachie wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:09 pm Was going to say..............................FAcelift models wont get here until February...............
Upper twenties for that sort of pootle is poor, my S is doing 24/5 for that sort of thing. I still tend to drive it like my Cayman though................

Just had my first 'night time' excursion with the LED PDLS+............................... wow!
Glad you could see where you were going adequately :D

Now you can see why I have been a keen advocate of LEDs for the neigh on two years that I have been using them on my Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

'Horses for courses'?

Nay lad...........
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'