UK Winter Driving in a GTS, Tyre/Wheel Advice Please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
jimmy2chins

Post by jimmy2chins »

Hi, new member here....

we've had our Macan GTS since May and I'm now getting ready for ordering some tyres for the winter. However I'd just like to see what other people would recommend. I'm not interested in All Season tyres, A - because the snow and ice gets quite extreme where we are, and B - I like decent rubber on when the roads are dry in the summer... so I'd like to hear what folks have gone for. Has anyone fitted smaller wheels to their GTS or Turbo models?

Are there any pros and cons? Winters in 20 inch size are both expensive and the choice not so great, plus I would imagine at this size don't give much benefit.

So is it best to drop down to 19inch?

and what make model of tyres, do the Michellin Alpins work well on the Macan? Ive had these fitted to a previous car, but the last ones I had were Conti Winter Contacts on a Range Rover and they were pretty good.

Thanks for any input

Cheers
Dan

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

That makes two of us. I'm interested too.......................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
steve w

Post by steve w »

Jimmy2chins
Each year around this time the same debate comes up about winter tyres,should be some info already on the forum regarding this ,some members put winter tyres on some dont it’s a personal decision ,personally I’ve never changed my wheels/tyres in all the years I’ve been driving and the numerous and varied vehicles I’ve owned and I’ve no intention of starting to ,I adapt my driving to the road conditions,the tyre companies would love us all to purchase another set of tyres for the winter but I don’t think many Forum members do ,we don’t seem to get the harsh winters we once had although I understand lower temperatures affect the tyre rubbers efficiency but as I said I just adapt my driving to the weather and road conditions,it’s your choice.
jimmy2chins

Post by jimmy2chins »

steve w wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 pm Jimmy2chins
Each year around this time the same debate comes up about winter tyres,should be some info already on the forum regarding this ,some members put winter tyres on some dont it’s a personal decision ,personally I’ve never changed my wheels/tyres in all the years I’ve been driving and the numerous and varied vehicles I’ve owned and I’ve no intention of starting to ,I adapt my driving to the road conditions,the tyre companies would love us all to purchase another set of tyres for the winter but I don’t think many Forum members do ,we don’t seem to get the harsh winters we once had although I understand lower temperatures affect the tyre rubbers efficiency but as I said I just adapt my driving to the weather and road conditions,it’s your choice.
With all due respect Steve, it wouldn't matter how well I adapted my driving where I live, winter tyres are essential. I live in the middle of nowhere with approx 300 metre incline from the end of my driveway. Without winter tyres I'm not going anywhere ice or snow. Trust me, I've had Audi's, Range Rovers and now the Macan, and it will be fitted with winter rubber of some description.

The usual search on the forum, didn't bring much in the way of what I was looking for to be honest... there is a thread a little further down the page but its packed with info on snow chains and talk of traction control being turned off... Not much use. I'd be interested to hear what winter tyre and wheel size combo's people have fitted on the Macan.
Guy

Post by Guy »

When I lived in Bavaria most local Macan owners dropped to 18 or 19 inch wheels for their winter tyres. Often the German OPCs have special offers on complete sets, and even sell off lightly used sets (Porsche approved) at the end of the season.

Presume you want N rated full winters? If you search Black Circles they have a couple of Dunlop N-rated winter tyre types listed.

There was a thread last year from someone who sourced and fitted aftermarket 19 inch winter tyre set - IIRC they were good value and even looked quite good!
jimmy2chins

Post by jimmy2chins »

Guy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm When I lived in Bavaria most local Macan owners dropped to 18 or 19 inch wheels for their winter tyres. Often the German OPCs have special offers on complete sets, and even sell off lightly used sets (Porsche approved) at the end of the season.

Presume you want N rated full winters? If you search Black Circles they have a couple of Dunlop N-rated winter tyre types listed.

There was a thread last year from someone who sourced and fitted aftermarket 19 inch winter tyre set - IIRC they were good value and even looked quite good!
Thanks Guy, I think due to insurance reasons, its probably best to stick to genuine Porsche OEM equipment when it comes to wheels. In the event of an accident it would probably be the first thing they'd point the stick at.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

As I am getting rid of the GTS, I am also selling the OEM delivered 19" sports classics. They are shod with Pirelli Scrorpion winter tyres/ I have covered between 2 and 3k miles on them, winter months only. These rims come in silver which I have had powder coated through Porsche in matt black. Two winter pictures attached. South East England pick up only.

AAA1.jpg

AAA.jpg

Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

jimmy2chins wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pm Hi, new member here....

we've had our Macan GTS since May and I'm now getting ready for ordering some tyres for the winter. However I'd just like to see what other people would recommend. I'm not interested in All Season tyres, A - because the snow and ice gets quite extreme where we are, and B - I like decent rubber on when the roads are dry in the summer... so I'd like to hear what folks have gone for. Has anyone fitted smaller wheels to their GTS or Turbo models?

Are there any pros and cons? Winters in 20 inch size are both expensive and the choice not so great, plus I would imagine at this size don't give much benefit.

So is it best to drop down to 19inch?

and what make model of tyres, do the Michellin Alpins work well on the Macan? Ive had these fitted to a previous car, but the last ones I had were Conti Winter Contacts on a Range Rover and they were pretty good.

Thanks for any input

Cheers
Dan
Welcome Jimmy.

I'm in the 'winter tyres work best in winter' camp so bought a spare set of 20" SD wheels and winter tyres when I bought my Turbo in Sept '16. The set came fitted with Dunlops, which seem to work fine and are actually smoother and quieter than the summers. They get quite good reviews. I'm a Michelin fan though and have always liked Alpins.

For your conditions, much harsher than for us softie southerners, I think 19's would be a better choice, although note that Porsche only approve Dunlop and Pirelli in this size.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7192

Above worth a read.

I found my summer tyres useless verging on dangerous when moving slowly up a sloping parking ramp through a narrow entrance on ice and packed snow. The car slid sideways.

Having read the entries above I am also going for winter tyres and will buy from Porsche to fit my GTi 20" black spyders. The OPC will store the summer tyres until next year.

The only issue is when to change over... SW England and London.. Weather Soothsayers? Any advice?.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

My Carrera T is booked in for mid October to have winter wheels/tyres fitted.

My driving is generally along and below the M4 corridor.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018