UK Winter Driving in a GTS, Tyre/Wheel Advice Please

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
SHAZ

Post by SHAZ »

for sure its worth taking winter tyres (not all season tyres) despite some of the reviews below I can assure you having lived in Switzerland for over 10 years that without winter tyres the car will be utterly useless (below 7 deg the rubber of a normal tyre becomes too hard and loses grip) the compound of a winter tyre is designed to remain soft at much lower temp) anyone thinking that they can drive normally or adapt their driving style
I believe hasn't experienced any real snow or ice or cold temp ! I used to change the tyres on my 991 4s every year (the car wouldn't get up a mountain if you didn't) - have used continental and Pirelli winter tyres

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, SHAZ! :)

Good to hear your comments, as I’ve just had Continental winter tyres fitted to my 991.2 Carrera T. 8-)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I think that you answered your question in your starting post.

...... extreme weather!!!

Summer = summer tyres.

Winter = winter tyres.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 2325

Post by Deleted User 2325 »

My OPC fitted a set of 20” Black Spyder's shod with SP Dunlop 4D Winter Sport. I wasn't keen on losing the Black Spyders for 5 months so opted for a second set.
Red5

Post by Red5 »

jimmy2chins wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 pm Hi, new member here....

we've had our Macan GTS since May and I'm now getting ready for ordering some tyres for the winter. However I'd just like to see what other people would recommend. I'm not interested in All Season tyres, A - because the snow and ice gets quite extreme where we are, and B - I like decent rubber on when the roads are dry in the summer... so I'd like to hear what folks have gone for. Has anyone fitted smaller wheels to their GTS or Turbo models?

Are there any pros and cons? Winters in 20 inch size are both expensive and the choice not so great, plus I would imagine at this size don't give much benefit.

So is it best to drop down to 19inch?

and what make model of tyres, do the Michellin Alpins work well on the Macan? Ive had these fitted to a previous car, but the last ones I had were Conti Winter Contacts on a Range Rover and they were pretty good.

Thanks for any input

Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,

Semerka has a Turbo, to which we fitted 18” Macan S wheels. These are type approved for the Macan chassis, so no problems there.
We bought NO Conti TS830P in the correct sizes 235/255 and they fit just fine.

The car has lighter steering and a more comfy ride. It was sure footed all winter, even on the warmer dry days.
It was also mega in the snow we had (briefly in the south east)
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

A set of 20" RS Spyder design wheels and tyres are £3823.00 fitted, almost a grand a corner. The Official Porsche Approved Winter Tyre chart below doesn't list 21" wheels on either the Macan or Cayenne so I'm screwed. I had some rear wheel action coming out of a junction today on a slightly damp road. Porsche naturally recommend the major manufacturers for winter tyres, Michelin, Continental and Pirelli.

file:///C:/Users/philt.LAPTOP-P2UFUMT3/Downloads/Overview%20winter%20tyres%20current%20vehicles%20.pdf
Last edited by Cheshire Cat on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Salty

Post by Salty »

I have a slight dilemma! We changed my wife’s Macan S for a new GTS in May this year and I was told by my OPC that the Porsche 18” winter wheels and tyres that we had for the S would fit the GTS. I had them put on yesterday by the guys at a local garage but then when I went to update the tyre type and size on the TPM menu I discovered that the smallest size selectable is 19”.
I checked the handbook which says that the multifunction display can be updated by the OPC. I called them and was told that they can’t! I checked the hand book again and see that in the technical data section 19” is the smallest wheel size quoted for the GTS.
So I’m now unsure what to do as the wheels appear to fit ok and there appears to be adequate clearance. The OPC haven’t been much help so far.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Salty wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 am I have a slight dilemma! We changed my wife’s Macan S for a new GTS in May this year and I was told by my OPC that the Porsche 18” winter wheels and tyres that we had for the S would fit the GTS. I had them put on yesterday by the guys at a local garage but then when I went to update the tyre type and size on the TPM menu I discovered that the smallest size selectable is 19”.
I checked the handbook which says that the multifunction display can be updated by the OPC. I called them and was told that they can’t! I checked the hand book again and see that in the technical data section 19” is the smallest wheel size quoted for the GTS.
So I’m now unsure what to do as the wheels appear to fit ok and there appears to be adequate clearance. The OPC haven’t been much help so far.
Salty - The 18" do (just) fit the larger GTS calipers although. 19" minimum recommended. I believe Smerka has 18" on her Turbo PP. Maybe she can clarify.

The 18" are a pretty tight fit which you can probably see for yourself. Consequently when putting them on, or taking them off don't ding the calipers. :oops:
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Salty

Post by Salty »

Nosmo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:00 pm
Salty wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 am I have a slight dilemma! We changed my wife’s Macan S for a new GTS in May this year and I was told by my OPC that the Porsche 18” winter wheels and tyres that we had for the S would fit the GTS. I had them put on yesterday by the guys at a local garage but then when I went to update the tyre type and size on the TPM menu I discovered that the smallest size selectable is 19”.
Salty - The 18" do (just) fit the larger GTS calipers although. 19" minimum recommended. I believe Smerka has 18" on her Turbo PP. Maybe she can clarify.

The 18" are a pretty tight fit which you can probably see for yourself. Consequently when putting them on, or taking them off don't ding the calipers. :oops:
Thanks for your advice Nosmo. I spoke with the OPC principal today and he is checking it out with the technical department.
As you say,the clearance is a bit tight but seems ok. I was a bit concerned however as the hand book technical page states wheel sizes starting at 19”.
I checked a tyre calculator website which shows that the overall circumference is ok.
I’m assured that there are no warranty issues by having 18” wheels instead of 19”.
The Principal did say that they have fitted 18”s to a turbo in the past.
I hope that they are ok as I’ve been quite impressed by the Continental wintercontacts tyres.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Nosmo wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am As I am getting rid of the GTS, I am also selling the OEM delivered 19" sports classics. They are shod with Pirelli Scrorpion winter tyres/ I have covered between 2 and 3k miles on them, winter months only. These rims come in silver which I have had powder coated through Porsche in matt black. Two winter pictures attached. South East England pick up only.

Hi Nosmo, hope you are good, did you sell these wheels?

Many thanks