How to get some heat into the car?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Yesterday (Saturday) was the first time I've push the temperature up above 20c as it was cool verging on cold. I also switched the heated seat on. How disappointing it was, hardly any heat in the seat and, even after ten minutes driving, barely a whiff of hot air. I tried the auto function to no avail. Is there a secret way to get the heater working or is it a trip to the dealer?
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Never had a problem with the heated seats. Warmth normally comes through after a minute or two. I presume you’re aware they have three heat settings?

Re. heating, no explanation other than 20 is not that warm :? or maybe the system was warming the engine first.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Paul

Post by Paul »

To confirm whether or not the heater is working, press the rapid demist button (the semi-circle picture of a windscreen top left of the consol) This will put max heat to the screen - you’ll soon tell.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Diesel or petrol? My Turbo engine warms up really fast and the seats likewise, usually even setting 1 is too warm for me although my wife likes hers a lot toastier.

I've no winter experience of the SD, but our diesel Yeti takes ages to warm up, 15 to 20 mins in cold temperatures.

Apart from the check Paul advises the only other thing you can check yourself is that the radiator flaps are closed when you start off from cold. They shouldn't open until the engine is getting up to temperature.

Does the car get regular long runs? These cars have various battery saving controls in order to prevent loss of electrical power, and heavy loads like air con, heated seats, rear window demister, for example, will remain off until the battery voltage is up to normal.

As we've said before, the best way to use the heater is to set both sides on 22 degrees, set Auto on and leave it like that. Resist the temptation for you or passengers to touch anything! The car will bring it to temperature as quickly as it can. Perhaps the only thing you can do to help it warm up quicker is to use Sport setting for the first 15 minutes.
Last edited by Nuclear Nick on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

My SD is very good at warming up. You can feel the seats warming after about 1 minute, even when it’s sub-zero. Something is wrong there.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Obebiker wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm My SD is very good at warming up. You can feel the seats warming after about 1 minute, even when it’s sub-zero. Something is wrong there.
+1. I have to drop the heated seat setting from 3 to 2 after a couple of mins as my seats get hot very quickly.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SD had heated seats that could fry an egg.

Turbo has heated seats that can give second degree burns.

Heated steering wheel in the Turbo glows in the dark.

Heating systems in both are pretty poor for a prestige car, the car heats up OK but only when in manual mode, Auto has been poor in both Macans.

By contrast the heating in my previous Q3 just worked, set at 20 on Autonand did not need to change it unless there was frost on the screens.

In certain weather conditions the windscreen can all of a sudden mist up whilst you are driving, I had this happen a couple of times in the SD but not at all in the Turbo
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
65 Rob

Post by 65 Rob »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 pm
Obebiker wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 pm My SD is very good at warming up. You can feel the seats warming after about 1 minute, even when it’s sub-zero. Something is wrong there.
+1. I have to drop the heated seat setting from 3 to 2 after a couple of mins as my seats get hot very quickly.
Likewise, my SD heats up both the heater & seats very quickly, typically within a mile of leaving home.
Macan SD, Jet Black Metallic, Panoramic Roof, 21” Turbo’s, PASM, Bose, 14 way Comfort Seats, PDLS + a few other bits.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Thinking about your problem, this has been asked before, not sure if it was here on on the US Macan forum.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I'll try max defrost. Heated seats just don't work. water temp was up to 90c according to the readout today and I could only muster a barely warm zephyr (not the car) from the vents. The RR Sport I had was like a furnace but it did have an auxiliary heater and I do also miss the heated steering wheel. Better get it sorted before the very cold winter they weather people have forecast.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.