SD residuals - What's the verdict?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Paul wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 am As Col says, on the used market (and I’m talking 3 yr old plus not the nearly new stuff) anyone looking for an SUV will automatically look at diesel power. The wider general public are nowhere near as sensitive as the initiated few on this forum (😉) and diesel will remain a very valid option for a big majority of rural / semi-rural families due to the mpg advantage (because that’s all they care about)
All true, but that doesn't guarantee strong residuals on a specific model i.e. Macan SD. It may just mean that those rural types will simply buy some other diesel car that hasn't been discontinued. The enthusiast Macan owner who may not long ago have debated long and hard between a petrol vs diesel Macan will now most likely choose petrol (it's what their heart really wanted anyway!). People who are that worried about fuel costs are also very unlikely to be willing to pay much of a premium for a used diesel, especially a relatively expensive model like the Macan SD. For sure there will be a market for them, but I suspect a different sort of buyer than what was around a year or two ago. I know I was seriously considering an SD only 18 months ago, but wouldn't touch one with a bargepole today!

Guy

Post by Guy »

I usually keep my cars for between 10 and 15 years, and then give them away. Should I be worried? ;)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I could be wrong......but I think without a diesel engine, sales of Porsche SUV's will plummet which can't be good for Porsche.
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

It's a tough sell given diesels have never been cleaner and ideally suited to a cayenne size vehicle, and yet now Porsche decide to stop

Guy offers a solution
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am I could be wrong......but I think without a diesel engine, sales of Porsche SUV's will plummet which can't be good for Porsche.
Jup, exactly what RR is suffering from at the moment too.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

At the moment, I think it difficult to predict residual values on any Porsche. Supply of new vehicles has been non existent for four months. Given that the Approved Used Porsche website does not give any information on how long vehicles have been sitting on forecourts, it's impossible to say what the current demand is for Macan SDs.

According to "Howmanyleft" there are 8,832 SDs licensed in the UK and 36 in SORN status. If 77 are on offer via Porsche used sales, it doesn't look as if there is a current rush for the exit by diesel Macan owners. Who knows how that will change when UK Macan sales restart.

As my car has one of the newer transfer boxes (replaced in February), I could be going down the same route as Guy.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I think it is a shame for manufacturers who have produced some brilliant diesel engines.

The Macan engine and the Panamera 4 litre diesel engines are powerful, efficient and I think .... relatively clean.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am I could be wrong......but I think without a diesel engine, sales of Porsche SUV's will plummet which can't be good for Porsche.
Maybe in the UK and some parts of Europe. But the US has never had a diesel Macan. And most Macans sold in China and south-east Asia will probably be the 2.0 model.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 pm
Maybe in the UK and some parts of Europe. But the US has never had a diesel Macan. And most Macans sold in China and south-east Asia will probably be the 2.0 model.
For Porsche, I hope you are correct. I was just really thinking of the UK and Europe.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I honestly think the future’s looking bright for Porsche.

Am confident that the Macan and 911 will continue to sell really well. With not too much longer to wait for inventive new models in the hybrid and EV sectors. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018