SD residuals - What's the verdict?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

I’ve been trying to keep up with all the various posts on “diesel gate” and its impact on the Macan SD residuals going forward but I must confess that, the more I think about it, the more confused I become.
Currently there are 177 “pre-owned” Macans on the official Porsche website broken down as 41 Macans, 8 S, 70 SD, 36 GTS and 22 Turbo. Whilst I cannot find the exact breakdown of total sales of each model, I suspect that the proportion of S and SDs available are less than their % sales volumes, and the basic Macan, GTS and Turbo % are greater.
I can understand the argument that the Macan SD is obsolescent and therefore the value may diminish over time more quickly than other Macan (petrol) models given the recent bad press.
But, on the other hand, I could counter by suggesting that there may develop a stronger market for second hand SDs, especially as they become a smaller percentage of the overall availability of second hand Macans...but demand continues (witness the comments regarding switching to other brands to keep a diesel car because of the fuel economy).
Will there therefore be a rush to switch out of SDs, but will there continue to be a demand for second-hand SDs because of their economy, thus underpinning the residuals?
Whither goest thou Macan SD residual?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Diesel still makes sense when the head rules the heart.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Col M

Post by Col M »

Total sales:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q ... mit=Search

I've lost track if there's still supposed to be an update to make the diesel legal. Probably a certainty that I can't drive one in a German city.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

It's definitely an interesting question. My take on it is as follows. If diesel, generally, evolves as a powertrain, it is likely that existing diesels, whatever the marque, will depreciate rapidly - especially if newer diesels become cleaner. As to Porsche specific diesels, if you want to trade into a newer diesel, you're obviously looking at different marques now...possibly Audi. Porsche diesels will rapidly, therefore, become less desirable and would more likely be seen as an entry point into Porsche by those looking, specifically looking too, for a Porsche diesel. This will no doubt be driven by legislation/emissions regs at the time.

Ultimately, it's down to what the market thinks about a Macan diesel and its desirability at the time. You'll always find those needing one, especially if they like the Macan design, but those really choosing one will diminish. Big difference.
steve w

Post by steve w »

RayG
I sold my SD at 12 months old and got a good PX against the GTS I purchased ,I made the decision then that Diesel Porsche’s were not for me ,as for present day residuals imo now that Porsche have abandoned Diesels it won’t have done residuals any favours,OPC will be selling used Diesels against a backdrop of a discontinued line and I suspect PX offered by OPC will reflect this,the SD Macans are brilliant just unfortunate that Diesel has been demonised ,glad we sold ours when we did .
SteveW
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

steve w wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:28 pm RayG
I sold my SD at 12 months old and got a good PX against the GTS I purchased ,I made the decision then that Diesel Porsche’s were not for me ,as for present day residuals imo now that Porsche have abandoned Diesels it won’t have done residuals any favours,OPC will be selling used Diesels against a backdrop of a discontinued line and I suspect PX offered by OPC will reflect this,the SD Macans are brilliant just unfortunate that Diesel has been demonised ,glad we sold ours when we did .
SteveW
Interesting Steve.

If Porsche take this position then surely some SD owners will hang on to their SDs rather than take that hit and thus there will be less available. Diesels will still be around for years and so will Porsche SDs, and Porsche will continue to maintain them, and so the after-market will be there, and so...?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Col M wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:40 pm Total sales:

I've lost track if there's still supposed to be an update to make the diesel legal. Probably a certainty that I can't drive one in a German city.
Ineresting breakdown.

On a different tack to the original post, it seems at variance with the members here and the past history.

There are percentagewise, far more base Macans on the road than we have have owners here.

Far more S variants have been sold than we thought, which is rather odd as not too long ago the wait for an S was far, far longer v any other variant.

GTS are have been a huge success.

Turbo, more owners than I expected.

Turbo PP for whatever reason are as common as hens teeth.

The market wants an SD, the numbers says so, yes OK there was a huge sales push on them but for the higher mileage user they are and will always be the preferred power source for many SUV owners.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 am
Col M wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:40 pm Total sales:

Ineresting breakdown.

On a different tack to the original post, it seems at variance with the members here and the past history.

There are percentagewise, far more base Macans on the road than we have have owners here.

Far more S variants have been sold than we thought, which is rather odd as not too long ago the wait for an S was far, far longer v any other variant.

GTS are have been a huge success.

Turbo, more owners than I expected.

Turbo PP for whatever reason are as common as hens teeth.

The market wants an SD, the numbers says so, yes OK there was a huge sales push on them but for the higher mileage user they are and will always be the preferred power source for many SUV owners.
Worth noting that the figures in that link are cumulative, not year-by-year totals.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Paul

Post by Paul »

As Col says, on the used market (and I’m talking 3 yr old plus not the nearly new stuff) anyone looking for an SUV will automatically look at diesel power. The wider general public are nowhere near as sensitive as the initiated few on this forum (😉) and diesel will remain a very valid option for a big majority of rural / semi-rural families due to the mpg advantage (because that’s all they care about)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Over half of all Macan sales have been the one diesel model compared to the four [5 with the PP] petrol variants. Says it all for the popularity of this fabulous SUV that's relatively economic too in SD guise.

The engine on start-up and through the reve range has a pleasant mellow sound compared to many diesels, especially the 4-cylinder ones in other mid-size diesel SUVs

Cake and eat it 🍰
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver