SD residuals - What's the verdict?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Agree, but the difference for me is that I am always thinking about what my next car might be...and when.

Residuals play into that decision. I've had a lot more cars in my time than houses😀
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ray G wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:10 pm Agree, but the difference for me is that I am always thinking about what my next car might be...and when.

Residuals play into that decision. I've had a lot more cars in my time than houses.
I’m the other way around (due to driving company cars for 21 years). Even with my recent 4-Porsche run, I think I’ve still owned more homes than cars. :geek:

Needless to say, I’ve made a bit of money over the years on the properties. Can’t say the same about my cars. :oops: :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Now living in my 4th (and, I think last) home (excluding ex-pat assignments).

Latest car (Macan of course) is my 12th (excluding company cars also).

As I am now retired and settled (I hope) what is there better to do all day than think about the next car - or how good the current one is. Agree about making a bit more money on houses than cars btw.

😂😂
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 am I could be wrong......but I think without a diesel engine, sales of Porsche SUV's will plummet which can't be good for Porsche.
I think that's pretty inevitable across Europe. It was the diesel options that made these relatively big SUVs practical family cars and Porsche pushed that angle very hard when we were looking at them a few years ago. Increased hybrid sales might partially compensate, so Porsche best be quick to get a hybrid Macan onto the market! Petrol SUV sales will inevitably increase a little too as people previously sat on the fence move over, but that's more the enthusiast market. The average Joe who might have considered stretching to a diesel Macan and justifying it as a "family" car is now likely to look elsewhere and a diesel Q5 would probably be the obvious alternative.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Porsche claim that diesels only account for 15% of their sales. If all previous diesel buyers now go elsewhere then that's 15% reduction in turnover. What that means in profit reduction I don't know but it's not something most motor manufacturers would want.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I'm sure that Porsche are looking at the bigger picture, and thinking of their brand image too.

Not all of the 15% (or whatever, 12% has been mentioned too I think) of sales will be lost, as some will buy a petrol or hybrid (or EV) Porsche instead.

And for those that choose not to buy a Porsche, as they don't do diesel any more, there's a good chance that a fair number of these will go to some other part of the VAG Group. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

On-Track wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:29 pm Porsche claim that diesels only account for 15% of their sales. If all previous diesel buyers now go elsewhere then that's 15% reduction in turnover. What that means in profit reduction I don't know but it's not something most motor manufacturers would want.
At the end of qtr-2 2018 51% of Macans on the road in the UK were diesel: This is already down from 70% at the end of 2015.

Whilst it may be ok for Porsche globally to suck it up, I would be very surprised if Porsche UK were not panicking just a little bit as to how they can make up their lost profits.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 17.02.24.png

Paul

Post by Paul »

...and I suspect a similar picture with the last few years Cayenne regs too
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Paul wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:07 pm ...and I suspect a similar picture with the last few years Cayenne regs too
As far as I can work out at the end of 2015 only 13% of Cayennes on the road were diesel whereas at the end of qtr-2 2018 25% of Cayennes were diesel. Perhaps partly due to the tax break incentive of the hybrid being available early and also the recent campaign with the diesel platinum edition (to get rid of the stock?).
skipper

Post by skipper »

Has anyone asked recently whether Porsche are going to resume sales of diesel Macans? I asked a SE in my local OPC last week and he wasn't sure a decision had been made. He was very keen to sell me one of several preregistered Macan SDs he had in stock and seemed surprised that I was interested in a 2.0. I have a diesel Audi ATM and have enjoyed it but dieselgate has spooked me a little. It's interesting that the facelift is only available as a 2.0 petrol.
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.