Macan SD in for major surgery!

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Well, some may recall my comments about poor temperature from the heater and none functioning heated seats. The car was booked in to my friendly OPC in Chester with an additional few items to sort out including a whining noise, rattle from the glove box and hesitation almost clutch slip stutter at junctions. Turned up yesterday, 18 plate Cayman awaiting my 6' 2" ageing body to be inserted after the service foreman had taken a test drive of the Macan. He agreed the heated seats and heater were not up to scratch but , more worryingly , diagnosed a dodgy transfer box.
The car is still under manufacturers warranty and a transfer box is in stock but the glove box is in Germany as I type. I realise that stuff happens (I cleaned that up) but it's how you fix it that counts. 19000 miles car requiring a major part isn't a sign of top drawer engineering and manufacture to me unless the Germans also have 'freitag' cars.

And so to the Cayman. Just the base model with 18 way seats and Bose in Red. I was impressed with the amount of room once I was in although my knees were perilously close to the steering wheel which is devoid of buttons save the driving mode button. Performance is more than adequate although I didn't venture into 'Sports +'. The engine does make a racket and the ride and road noise is very surface dependent. Smooth motorways and it's not bad. Normal potholed roads and it's a bit crashy but then it's a sports car. I drove about 80 miles in it but regrettably had to return it that day for a BMW 320d. I did have a headache later but was was most impressive and what may not count to most owners, was the MPG. Returning the car in rush hour on a mix of A roads and Motorway, not venturing above 60mph returned 39.8 mpg. Astonishing in my book.

Macan may be ready by Friday.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Sorry to hear about the necessity of major surgery and thank you for the Cayman plug. It will make a couple of us (me included) very pleased.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Cheshire Cat. Quite a few forum members have had transfer box replacements which appear to affect both petrol and diesel models alike. Porsche cars are no different to other cars ie some will have faults from time to time. Hopefully the dealership will sort out the faults but would advise getting an extended warranty before the 3 year warranty expires.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sorry to hear of you signifcant woes hope everthing gets fully sorted.

When my Turbo was in for service I asked about Transfer Box issues and they advised that they have only seen the problem with the SD variants.

Has anyone with petrol Macans suffered with Transfer Box issues?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

Yes, my petrol Macan S had a replacement transfer box 6 months ago at 29,000 miles.
I think there are a few others on here, and presumably plenty more outwith this forum, with petrol engines who have had the same problem.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm Sorry to hear of you signifcant woes hope everthing gets fully sorted.

When my Turbo was in for service I asked about Transfer Box issues and they advised that they have only seen the problem with the SD variants.

On the US Macan forum there have been plenty of posts regarding new transfer boxes and diesels not sold in US.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Col M

Post by Col M »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm Sorry to hear of you signifcant woes hope everthing gets fully sorted.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/compla ... cases.html

Enough listed here on the US forum (and SD not sold there). The good sign is I don't see any repeats.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble