Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3528
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Advise please

As many will be aware I’ve put down a nominal deposit for a 3.0 Mac 2. In my mind this is merely a contingency re a potential waiting list and insurance that if I pull the trigger I would well up the order list.

My current Macan, which is wonderful and I think hard to beat, and has, touch wood, so far been faultless, will be 3 years old next March. And momentary nav moments excepted well fulfills our current needs.

Macan 3, a presumed EV, is not due until at least 2022/23 so if I held on until then my current car would be 6/7 years old.

As many also know we are also part of the new driveless underclass and not in the short term or maybe even the medium term expecting meaningful answers to this dilemma to be provided. Having said this I do expect several more EVs (or improved hybrids) to appear in the interim. Our driving needs are mainly local with plus several major trips per year.

So, what do I do?

Buy a new Mac 2 with a view to a) it being a keeper and/or seeing what new technology comes down the road

Or hold on and wait for a) the above or b) maybe a GTS + the above

Or ??? What other options are there?

And what would be the financial implications (when March 19 comes around we will owe nothing on the car which OPC are currently suggesting would be worth somewhere in the low £40Ks) both in terms of depreciation on the one hand and maintaining the current car on the other, and perceived ICE values as the EV/hybrid culture takes hold.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


GMAN75
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 11:21 am

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by GMAN75 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Sorry, didn't you just answer your question with: "My current Macan, which is wonderful and I think hard to beat, and has, touch wood, so far been faultless, will be 3 years old next March. And momentary nav moments excepted well fulfills our current needs." ?

I think it's a fool's errand simply to upgrade just because. It's no different, in my view, to standing in line outside an Apple Store awaiting the immediate release of the iPhone 10 when your 9 works just fine and that any marginal improvement in the 10 simply won't be noticed. You don't ever use a car to 100% of its capability. It is a tool to be used.

If you want to go into the macroeconomic situation the country may also find itself in within the next couple of years as well...that's another risk factor you will need to add in. You're into your car for a certain amount of money. As it ages, yes it becomes worth a little less but your free capital also allows you to make decisions when you REALLY need to and have comfort that cars are headed in a certain direction.

Everyone likes a shiny new car every couple of years. Trouble is, unless you are a slave to change for changing sake, do you really need it??!


User avatar
Paul
Posts: 7089
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Paul » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Crystal ball time Mike, with too many unknowns!

Change for a 3.0 in 6 months will cost, say, £20K and then no further costs for another 3 yrs to March 2022. You’ll have “ the same again” to your spec and the satisfaction of a new car to enjoy.

Change for a GTS in 18 months will cost, say £35 K and then no further cists until March 2023 as above (big assumptions on dates and price differential I grant you)

Keep Kitty until March 2023 will cost less even with significant allowances for maintenance / warranties etc but with a “ nil” residual at that point (arguably £15K?.) BUT, no shiney new car,

I guess it depends how much “ spare” cash you have, what you would spend it on otherwise, and how much pleasure a new car gives you (and what price you put on that pleasure)

My plan (for what it's worth) is to keep my current ‘16 16 GTS and change it for the facelift GTS when it’s 4 yrs old in sept ‘20........

I don’t think there will be any massive swing in ICE residuals - possibly even a slight firming up as the prospect of “the last car (ICE) you’ll ever buy” to quote a post elsewhere looms large in people’s minds.
1st Sapphire Blue SD
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1986

Current Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296


User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3528
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Indeed. Thinking out loud helps. 😳

Another factor maybe is whether we believe that ‘dirtier’ ICEs will become the new diesel devil. And so is trading up to a cleaner animal more valid.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


User avatar
VanB
Posts: 2752
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by VanB » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Personally, I would avoid what sounds like a temporary upgrade if you love your current Macan. You have already suffered the worst of the depreciation so would only be restarting the depreciation cycle all over again. Additionally, if you've been paying on finance simply put that money to one side and you probably won't need to finance your GTS or EV. Sounds like a no-brainer to me
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate


User avatar
Guy
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am
Location: Shropshire

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Guy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Stick a two-year warranty extension on your current car and defer any decision until new Macan GTS is available to order. Then post again and see if you can resist the peer pressure to change to the facelift model! :lol:


User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3528
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm
Stick a two-year warranty extension on your current car and defer any decision until new Macan GTS is available to order. Then post again and see if you can resist the peer pressure to change to the facelift model! :lol:
:lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3528
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:38 pm

VanB wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm
Personally, I would avoid what sounds like a temporary upgrade if you love your current Macan. You have already suffered the worst of the depreciation so would only be restarting the depreciation cycle all over again. Additionally, if you've been paying on finance simply put that money to one side and you probably won't need to finance your GTS or EV. Sounds like a no-brainer to me
I think that's where i was heading but, as I said earlier, its good to think out loud.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


User avatar
Rab J
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:48 am
Location: Ballymena

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Rab J » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm

My advice is buy the .2S then swap it for a .2GTS untill the new new model comes out. Then swap to that. I would have a new car every year if I can afford it. Nothing like new.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD Waiting patiently untill I can hit the warp drive button
www.porsche-code.com/PJTSYXY8


User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3528
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Rab J wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm
My advice is buy the .2S then swap it for a .2GTS untill the new new model comes out. Then swap to that. I would have a new car every year if I can afford it. Nothing like new.
Wish I had the brass to do that, Rab. But if I did I probably move house instead and halve my dilemma. ;)
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


Post Reply

Return to “Main Porsche Macan Chat”