Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 pm
Stick a two-year warranty extension on your current car and defer any decision until new Macan GTS is available to order. Then post again and see if you can resist the peer pressure to change to the facelift model! :lol:
I certainly want to see what the new engines (and suspension) bring to the party before doing anything.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


Peteski
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:56 am

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Peteski » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Save your pennies for an upgrade to a driveway!

But seriously the Macan update looks very weak, hardly worth throwing good money at from a relatively new current car. Maybe a hybrid version might be tempting if they get round to it? Sounds like the following generation will be full EV, so that driveway will definitely be something to aspire to! Or maybe there will be a split in the Porsche lineage with hybrid and full EV options going forward? I'm not even sure Porsche themselves have fully thought this through yet.


User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Peteski wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 pm
Save your pennies for an upgrade to a driveway!

But seriously the Macan update looks very weak, hardly worth throwing good money at from a relatively new current car. Maybe a hybrid version might be tempting if they get round to it? Sounds like the following generation will be full EV, so that driveway will definitely be something to aspire to! Or maybe there will be a split in the Porsche lineage with hybrid and full EV options going forward? I'm not even sure Porsche themselves have fully thought this through yet.
I think it would be helpful to us all if Governments etc had fully thought it through too. How the world abhors a vacuum!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


Spud
Posts: 2172
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Spud » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Dandock, from what I’ve seen of the facelift Macan there would not be enough there to tempt me to change at this moment in time, having had the S,SD and now GTS then I do believe the GTS is the one to have, in all honesty I wouldn’t have swapped my SD had I not been offered such a good deal plus concerns over Diesel, my GTS is definitely a keeper for 5 years min, I would sit tight with what you have, it’s lost the biggest chunk surely, and see how things pan out with new models
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1


User avatar
Triple7
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 pm
Location: Edgbaston

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Triple7 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Buy a new one!

I don’t see the point in EV’s at this stage, no point lugging 2 tonnes of batteries around in a sports SUV! :roll:

If you want a GTS, wait a year, if you want a facelift petrol having your towel down is a good start.

Someone earlier made the analagy about iPhones, I buy mine and run them til they are worthless, decided I’m not doing that again. Apple upgrade programme for me. New phone every 10months, yeah locks you in to payments for life, but I’ll be trading in my old phone at the max part-ex price. Cars are the same, if you want to change, change early to retain as much value for the next one. If you wanna keep, keep it...

Personally their is a lot of uncertainty moving forward, I like to have a PCP, one where I place the max deposit and only pay the interest on the balloon. Means I can walk at the end of the contract with the finance comapny holding the can incase the world has ended.

Call it an insurance policy....
Sold: 2014 Macan Diesel S in Jet Black.
Sold: 2016 Macan GTS in Jet Black.
Cancelled: 2017 Macan Turbo + PP in Jet Black for a RRS.
To be ordered 2019 Macan Turbo / Turbo S / Turbo + PP. Yeah, it’ll be in Jet Black!


User avatar
SAC1
Posts: 888
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: near BATH

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by SAC1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 pm

Keep your deposit in on a .2 and use delaying tactics if needed by changing from a new S to a GTS perhaps. Your current Macan will be good until it's approaching 4 years old and then if you change it before its birthday. Then there will be no 2nd and major service cost. Plus saving perhaps a set of tyres cost etc too. By late 2019 / early 2020 things should be a lot clearer on the future of ICE and the Macan in particular.


User avatar
Ray G
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:45 am

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Ray G » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 pm

If you trade-in and buy a new one then after 3 years that new one will depreciate by about £25k. If you keep the current one it would depreciate by about £15k.
I'd keep the current one if you are happy with it, skip the 1.2, put a very early deposit on a nominal 2.1 model then decide which one once the line-up is announced.
Much in line with SAC1 really.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S


Col Lamb
Posts: 6563
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Col Lamb » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Mike

I would not change Kitty for another S.

Go for the GTS or better still if the Turbo arrives at the same time or shortly after the S then go for that, it is by far the best Macan variant and my own Turbo was less than £5k more than the GTS that I specced.
Col
Macan Turbo, Met Blk, Spyders, Air, ACC, Pano, Garnet, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Spare Wheel plus a few other goodies.
Prior Macan SD similar spec to Turbo


User avatar
Wing Commander
Posts: 12633
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Wing Commander » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 pm

GMAN75 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:07 pm
Sorry, didn't you just answer your question with: "My current Macan, which is wonderful and I think hard to beat, and has, touch wood, so far been faultless, will be 3 years old next March. And momentary nav moments excepted well fulfills our current needs." ?

I think it's a fool's errand simply to upgrade just because. It's no different, in my view, to standing in line outside an Apple Store awaiting the immediate release of the iPhone 10 when your 9 works just fine and that any marginal improvement in the 10 simply won't be noticed. You don't ever use a car to 100% of its capability. It is a tool to be used.

Everyone likes a shiny new car every couple of years. Trouble is, unless you are a slave to change for changing sake, do you really need it??!
Hi Mike.

Now for a “Do as I say and not as I do” moment!

I agree with GMAN75.

You love ‘Kitty’ and she sounds virtually perfect for your needs. Why change?!

Porsches are generally engineered and built very well. The percentage of ‘elderly’ Porsches still happily running around is very high.

I see only marginal gains in going from an S to a GTS or Turbo (if head rules over heart). ;)

Clearly, my heart regularly overrules my head! :lol:

If your most likely replacement for Kitty is another Porsche Macan, I would hold on until Macan Mk II rather than trading in for a Macan 1.2.

That’s my 2p worth anyway! :)

Cheers,

Simon
Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCIIPK4


User avatar
Dandock
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Mac 2 or not to Mac 2. Advise please.

Post by Dandock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks everyone. The input has certainly cleared my mind and probably confirmed the conclusion I was coming to.

Still, it will be interesting to see what the new engines deliver. You never know... do you Simon!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀


Post Reply

Return to “Main Porsche Macan Chat”