;) :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

I've been looking at the very same question lately as my SD was 3 last month.

I'm currently exploring EVs - Tesla and Ipace, and I do like the instant acceleration :shock: , but the quality/price/range are all weighing heavily on me along with a massive question mark about residuals of an electric £65/75k car. So what if they are a couple of grand a year cheaper to own? You could lose double that in extra depreciation easily, and I suspect as the tech. gets better the current ones will free fall in value in years to come - who wants a 6 year old iPhone?, and just how well will the batteries last on one of these cars when it gets to say 7 or 8 years old - which will have a big effect on it's value at 3 to 4 years as the new owner will be wondering what it's worth for them when they sell it on? :oops:

I'm kind of leaning against them for now TBH, and without a driveway you should forget them all together.

I was in the Porsche showroom last week and walked away with the nicest car I seen there - my own SD - which, like yours, is doing a great job of doing everything right. The updates on the new Macan are simply not enough to get me to change, it's wasted money to me as the cars would just be too similar, and mine is not exactly "worn out" at 3 years old?

So for now at least I'm kind of getting into the frame of mine there is nothing else I'd rather have than my own car. I'll save a shed load of cash, I know I have "a good one", I can let the early adopters of EVs take "the hit" for the next few years, and when the new Macan comes out EVs will be more mainstream and better catered for, and if I go for a petrol it will be the new shape, and possible the last ICE car I buy new :?:

James
goron59

Post by goron59 »

jesim1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 am I was in the Porsche showroom last week and walked away with the nicest car I seen there - my own SD - which, like yours, is doing a great job of doing everything right. The updates on the new Macan are simply not enough to get me to change, it's wasted money to me as the cars would just be too similar, and mine is not exactly "worn out" at 3 years old?
This.

It's a great car (even the diesel ;) ) so hang on.

Mine's coming up to 3 and I've chosen to keep it.
I would have considered an ISM/mild hybrid version, but that's unlikely to show up until my car is nearer 5 or 6 years old, and the world would have moved on by then anyway.

And I don't like this full width light stripe. It really doesn't suit the larger cars, IMO, and will probably go the way of the "rheumy-looking headlights" of the 996.

I was following a current Macan and new Cayenne the other day and the Macan looked so much better.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

The facelift Macan just doesn't have enough changes for me to want to upgrade. Granted we don't know details on the new GTS version but I love my current Macan GTS and will be hanging onto it.
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

jesim1 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 am I've been looking at the very same question lately as my SD was 3 last month.

I'm currently exploring EVs - Tesla and Ipace, and I do like the instant acceleration :shock: , but the quality/price/range are all weighing heavily on me along with a massive question mark about residuals of an electric £65/75k car. So what if they are a couple of grand a year cheaper to own? You could lose double that in extra depreciation easily, and I suspect as the tech. gets better the current ones will free fall in value in years to come - who wants a 6 year old iPhone?, and just how well will the batteries last on one of these cars when it gets to say 7 or 8 years old - which will have a big effect on it's value at 3 to 4 years as the new owner will be wondering what it's worth for them when they sell it on? :oops:

I'm kind of leaning against them for now TBH, and without a driveway you should forget them all together.

I was in the Porsche showroom last week and walked away with the nicest car I seen there - my own SD - which, like yours, is doing a great job of doing everything right. The updates on the new Macan are simply not enough to get me to change, it's wasted money to me as the cars would just be too similar, and mine is not exactly "worn out" at 3 years old?

So for now at least I'm kind of getting into the frame of mine there is nothing else I'd rather have than my own car. I'll save a shed load of cash, I know I have "a good one", I can let the early adopters of EVs take "the hit" for the next few years, and when the new Macan comes out EVs will be more mainstream and better catered for, and if I go for a petrol it will be the new shape, and possible the last ICE car I buy new :?:

James
I can understand sticking with your current SD for a little while longer, but Tesla depreciation has proven to be very low and you can guarantee it to be low on a PCP deal. Batteries are lasting way better than anyone first imagined too, so they will make a very desirable used option in place of say an ageing diesel with all their exhaust baggage.

Incidentally I was still recently running an iPhone 3GS from 2009, now upgraded to a 5C. this year. I've never seen the point in having the latest and greatest phone model every year or two?
johnd

Post by johnd »

Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:19 pm you can guarantee it to be low on a PCP deal.
This is the bit I've been pondering too. I'd normally buy as a cash purchase, but someone was suggesting a PCP where you pay the maximum downpayment so any loss on the interest is minimised, while getting a guaranteed balloon.
Batteries are lasting way better than anyone first imagined too...
And they're guaranteed separately for 8 years on the I-Pace to retain (IIRC) 80% of original capacity, or something like that. Presumably Tesla etc do something similar.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:45 pm
Peteski wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:19 pm you can guarantee it to be low on a PCP deal.
This is the bit I've been pondering too. I'd normally buy as a cash purchase, but someone was suggesting a PCP where you pay the maximum downpayment so any loss on the interest is minimised, while getting a guaranteed balloon.
Batteries are lasting way better than anyone first imagined too...
And they're guaranteed separately for 8 years on the I-Pace to retain (IIRC) 80% of original capacity, or something like that. Presumably Tesla etc do something similar.
Same as you John I would normally be a cash buyer, but the Tesla 1.5% APR PCP deal last year, with a very generous 50% 4 year residual (including options) and a flat rate unlimited 7p + VAT excess mileage charge seemed like the way to go! I think the APR has since climbed to nearly 5%, but I would probably still go that way, as you say with a big deposit to minimise interest. The Jag PCP deals didn't look quite so tempting when I last looked, but it sounds like they may have improved.

Yes, Tesla do have an 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on both the battery and drive units. Makes a 4 year old example quite desirable, especially as I believe you can now get extended warranties on the rest of the car similar to what Porsche offer.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Will keep my SD and wait for the revolution when proven, 2015 SD, my specifications and towbar, wonder how good electric ev might be at towing? 🤔
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

So... is the PEC day valid if I cancel. And what happens if I take it, then cancel? 😈

Has anyone been in that situation?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Nomad wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:42 pm wonder how good electric ev might be at towing? 🤔
No problem for ev's to be set up to pull weight but I would guess that's not what manufacturers will be at all focussed on as the range would be seriously compromised (less so in the Netherlands) 😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6