Pulling the plug...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Uummm

image.jpg

Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

johnd

Post by johnd »

Yeah, seems to be quite a bit of this sort of stuff in the media at present. Not sure why hybrids have taken such a hit, but maybe the thinking is that dieselgate and the cost of fuel is enouraging people towards hybrids anyway without too much extra inducement being needed. I guess they could always reinstate the grant if hybrid sales dip too much.

On the reduction from Β£4.5K to Β£3.5K for full EVs, IIRC this was in the timetable anyway, so not too much of a surprise. It's always a disappointment to lose any contribution to the buying price, but at least for cars in the Tesla/I-Pace/Taycan category it's difficult to see a Β£1K price increase making much difference to sales.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I guess the government is strapped for cash and just hoping people will buy them anyway. Timing seems poor though as we reach a critical turning point in the industry and the environmental clock is well and truly ticking.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I keep thinking how the government will generate the loss of revenue if we all switch to electric...just cannot see it .
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
johnd

Post by johnd »

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:20 pm I keep thinking how the government will generate the loss of revenue if we all switch to electric...just cannot see it .
I think it's the same answer as every time this question is asked: Other taxes will be increased as necessary though slowly but progressively; and then when the technology is ready and the public appetite is judged acceptable there'll be a switch to road pricing - almost certainly starting gently to allow the idea to bed in and public familiarisation, and then increased as required.

Real mpg at Fuelly
Guy

Post by Guy »

johnd wrote: ↑Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm ... there'll be a switch to road pricing ...
Hopefully GPS-based with a plethora of cheat/jammer devices available on eBay - can't wait! :D
johnd

Post by johnd »

Guy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm Hopefully GPS-based with a plethora of cheat/jammer devices available on eBay - can't wait! :D
Maybe? But equally I can imagine that would be regarded as a fairly serious road traffic offence with penalties stiff enough to discourage most potential users (and probably relatively easy to detect too).

Real mpg at Fuelly
Guy

Post by Guy »

johnd wrote: ↑Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:18 pm
Guy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:10 pm Hopefully GPS-based with a plethora of cheat/jammer devices available on eBay - can't wait! :D
Maybe? But equally I can imagine that would be regarded as a fairly serious road traffic offence with penalties stiff enough to discourage most potential users (and probably relatively easy to detect too).
Driving whilst uninsured is very easy to detect, and also a 'fairly serious road traffic offence', but there's still about a million uninsured drivers on UK roads!

Actually I was being flippant; as a low mileage and generally off-peak traveller I'd be happy to get rid of fuel excise duties and move to a road-pricing scheme tomorrow!
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Guy wrote: ↑Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:28 pm
Actually I was being flippant; as a low mileage and generally off-peak traveller I'd be happy to get rid of fuel excise duties and move to a road-pricing scheme tomorrow!
Can you imagine the furore? Mum / dad not being able to drive the precious little ones to school but having to make them take the bus? It's poll tax battles all over again :shock:
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Apropos of nothing...

https://apple.news/ALiZGqbvhTly39mU1WudH9g
For perspective, the average German car owner could drive a gas-guzzling vehicle for three and a half years, or more than 50,000 kilometers, before a Nissan Leaf with a 30 kWh battery would beat it on carbon-dioxide emissions in a coal-heavy country, Berylls estimates show.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR