Pulling the plug...

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Hang on... let’s not forget the zillions being collected from all those driverless thingies that are supposed to replacing our beloved personal transports.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

bennachie

Post by bennachie »

In no particular order.............

Hit, nail, head, the, on.

And that is ignoring the environmental cost of the battery...............
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 pm Apropos of nothing...

https://apple.news/ALiZGqbvhTly39mU1WudH9g
For perspective, the average German car owner could drive a gas-guzzling vehicle for three and a half years, or more than 50,000 kilometers, before a Nissan Leaf with a 30 kWh battery would beat it on carbon-dioxide emissions in a coal-heavy country, Berylls estimates show.
Even if it were true (and that is highly debatable when considering other reports, this one being very much a worse case scenario) the solution is not for the Poles and Germans to carry on driving around in diesels. They really need to clean up their electricity grids and battery manufacturing plants to get the maximum benefit from EVs. To be fair, the report you linked to pretty much says that too although you have to actually read beyond all the click bait posturing to get the message.

The "dirty battery" argument I've noticed is the latest propaganda tool used by the anti-EV lobby. There is no doubt that producing and charging batteries on a clean grid is beneficial to the whole EV lifecycle, that should be pretty obvious. But at least that is an achievable and desirable target already being achieved to varying degrees in many countries, including the UK, unlike continuing down the dead end path of diesel engines and ICE in general for our personal transport.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I'm all for clean energy and a cleaner world and am fully behind this country's belief in that direction but I can't help but feel that we're all p*ssing in the wind.

As China pushes for EVs and currently has over 50% of all EVs registered, it also generates a very substantial proportion of its power by fossil. And will still derive 60% by 2040! All rather perverse!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am I'm all for clean energy and a cleaner world and am fully behind this country's belief in that direction but I can't help but feel that we're all p*ssing in the wind.

As China pushes for EVs and currently has over 50% of all EVs registered, it also generates a very substantial proportion of its power by fossil. And will still derive 60% by 2040! All rather perverse!
For sure many legit scientists think this too and switching the whole world to EVs overnight isn't necessarily going to prevent climate change, but that doesn't mean it's better to simply give up and do nothing. Even if it just means that the next generation or two benefit from breathing in less pollution. What would our cities look like today if we hadn't moved on from the Victorian industrial revolution?
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am
Dandock wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am I'm all for clean energy and a cleaner world and am fully behind this country's belief in that direction but I can't help but feel that we're all p*ssing in the wind.

For sure many legit scientists think this too and switching the whole world to EVs overnight isn't necessarily going to prevent climate change, but that doesn't mean it's better to simply give up and do nothing. Even if it just means that the next generation or two benefit from breathing in less pollution. What would our cities look like today if we hadn't moved on from the Victorian industrial revolution?
Oh, I absolutely agree. I just feel that the focus in China is rather skewed. I'm also cynical enough to believe that they have they financial clout and are creating a knowledge-base and manufacturing base that they're going exploit before too long.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

If people really gave a fuck about the environment, they wouldn't buy apples from South Africa, drive 2 mile journeys, in vehicles with 10 times the power requirements, watch endless shite on Sky TV, keep dogs, live in homes 3 times bigger than they need, fly 3000km for a bit of sunshine, etc etc etc.

I guess it's easier to complain about everyone else/other countries/the government etc.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

:shock:
goron59 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:35 pm If people really gave a fuck about the environment, they wouldn't buy apples from South Africa, drive 2 mile journeys, in vehicles with 10 times the power requirements, watch endless shite on Sky TV, keep dogs, live in homes 3 times bigger than they need, fly 3000km for a bit of sunshine, etc etc etc.

I guess it's easier to complain about everyone else/other countries/the government etc.
Yep, but its proportionate. In the same way as we cant give every charity; we have to make choices - some good, some less than good.

Ed... but on reflection I may have just fallen for a classic Goron post! :shock:
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I prefer to influence by making people think for themselves. Doesn't always work though :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR