Fuel gauge woes

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

My SD is a few days short of the warranty expiring & for the second time the fuel gauge is malfunctioning. It first happened around 18 months ago when I picked the car up from the dealers after the transfer box was replaced.
At that time the gauge showed zero (I thought this was a strange oversight by the dealer) - so I filled it at the nearest garage - but it stayed on empty.
They then replaced the sender. This didn't fix it - so they had to replace the whole instrument pod.
Now the gauge has gremlins again. Sometimes it shows zero, sometimes the apparently correct level, & sometimes I get an error message - fault tank display service necessary.
Judging by the forum search results this doesn't seem a common problem on the Macan.

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Get back in contact with the dealer ASAP to register the problem, if it then extends outside the warranty period because they cannot fix it in time you should still be covered.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Hi trialframe. Sorry to hear about the issues. I have experienced something similar immediately after filling up but it threw up a visual error message and definitely didn't show a 0 range. I have never been able to replicate the issue in over 20k miles. I shared the picture below of the error with the OPC. Did you see similar warnings, possibly even in Orange or Red? My OPC didn't really do anything other than to say that if it happened again they would investigate. Your OPC knows of your issue (and to Ray Gs point) register your frustration and to stay within the warranty period - which in a way is clear reading your post. I would go farther and get them to resolve it before the warranty period runs out. I have no idea how modern tanks work (there is a thread with the complete service manual on the forum somewhere) but if it is a sensor and sender, the sensor in the tank might be faulty not the sender.

20170926_192036.jpg

Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As has been advised register the defect with your OPC by telephone and by email to the dealer Principle.

Additionally I would send them a registered letter, include an image of the warning, state your displeasure that this is the second time you have suffered this fault. Include that your warranty is about to expire and the purpose of this letter is to register the fault within the warranty period and as such if the OPC fails to rectify the issue within the warranty period then the issue will be a latent defect of the car and as such the OPC will be responsible for undertaking a permanent rectification of the fault at no cost to yourself.

Be sure to use the term .... latent defect..... in the letter, it is a contract term that is applied to faults/problems/issues that have not been rectified within the Contract warranty period.

Copy the letter to Porsche UK.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

Thank you all for your replies. I've taken some photos of the error message plus some photos the gauge when it gives an erroneous reading.
I'm booked into Porsche Bournemouth tomorrow & will let you know what happens. Writing a letter as suggested will follow if I'm not satisfied.
trialframe

Post by trialframe »

Ok - so after leaving the Macan with the dealership for a couple of days, they diagnosed a poor contact in a cable connection & got this sorted. The problem now seems to be be resolved.
Since the same fault originally occurred after they replaced the transfer box, I'm inclined to think (like I did at the time) that something similar to this was probably the original cause.
Porsche paid for them to replace both the fuel sender and the instrument console at the time.
Glad I didn't have to pay for it!
Anyway my warranty is now ended!
Paul

Post by Paul »

At least the problem was acknowledged and resolved👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Except if you plan to sell it, why don t you extend the warranty ?
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86