So .. the real cost to the economy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
johnd

Post by johnd »

GMAN75 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 pm Don't ever underestimate a government's sheer greed for tax. It will get it.
Sure. What's new? Except that some of us tend to think of it as public spending and the hallmark of a civilised society, but that's a different debate ;) .
Last edited by johnd on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Expect that by the time EVs are in the vast majority a money grabbing scheme by Bloodsuckers Inc will be in place which will in my guess be road pricing.

Hence to offset that and the likely rise in electricity costs then solar panels and home battery system as per the Tesla model may well be the way forward
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Lots of early batteries are now less than they were. Early Leaf has had issues and Renault kept the batteries 'in house' to avoid the issue.
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Only two things certain in this world, death and taxes, so transport will always be a tax cow.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Home fuel cell is the answer. In Japan, you come home in your Honda Clarity, then instead of charging the car by plugging it in, you plug the car in to run the house..................

Makes sense to me. Battery is old hat. they are not efficient and are only as good as the weakest cell........................... A significant break through in battery technology is required - it does not appear to be imminent. Solid state is not making the step from the lab to mass production.............
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Oh, and there are three certainties in life..........

Death, Taxes................................and your flat roof is going to leak!
johnd

Post by johnd »

bennachie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 pm Lots of early batteries are now less than they were. Early Leaf has had issues and Renault kept the batteries 'in house' to avoid the issue.
Think the emphasis should be on 'early' here - first generation if you like. I guess we're now on 2nd or 3rd generation - Nissan/Renault apparently use a fairly different battery chemistry now for instance.

Here's one fairly detailed study of Tesla batteries from 2017 of more modern batteries:

tesla-model-s-mileage-vs-remaining-battery-range-as-of-apr-2017.jpg

Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

Those Tesla stats are quite impressive..............................

I still can't see it as 'the future' though..............................interim solution at best. We still have the electricity generation issues to overcome, especially in anticyclonic Britain during the depths of winter.
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Perhaps the powers that be have already realised they are going to need more cash from EV drivers:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... brids.html
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

bennachie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm Home fuel cell is the answer. In Japan, you come home in your Honda Clarity, then instead of charging the car by plugging it in, you plug the car in to run the house..................

Makes sense to me. Battery is old hat. they are not efficient and are only as good as the weakest cell........................... A significant break through in battery technology is required - it does not appear to be imminent. Solid state is not making the step from the lab to mass production.............
Making some very bold statements there with no meaningful reasoning. How about explaining to us why you think a home fuel cell is the answer? Or the inherent advantages in running your house off a Honda Clarity? I'm not getting any of this at all.