So .. the real cost to the economy

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
johnd

Post by johnd »

GMAN75 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:33 pm Extrapolate that to providing a completely integrated infrastructure, upstream and downstream, to electrify every motor vehicle on the road. I wish I could go down to William Hill to get the odds on any government, given the instabilities which exist in the UK now, to deliver that within 13 years.
Think there's a couple of straw men in there, aren't there? I've not come across any proposal 'to electrify every motor vehicle on the road' by 2040, which is the date usually referenced, though there seems to have been some speculation as to whether it might be possible by 2035.

The proposal is for all new cars sold to be electric, as far as I'm aware - a big difference from 'every vehicle'. And where does 13 years come from? I guess you must have seen a reference to this happening by 2030, but I'm not sure that's a serious suggestion anywhere.

Still I wouldn't be surprised to find 60-80% of cars as BEV by 2040, assuming that one or other of the several suggestions for EV charging can be implemented for those who don't have a suitable driveway or eg live in flats. That's probably the main concern - things like generation capacity and network infrastructure are not major issues to start with and are entirely manageable on a 20-25 year timescale.

I do wonder whether once test drives in a Taycan start to become more widely available then even the present naysayers may start to think a little differently.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 am
bennachie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm Home fuel cell is the answer. In Japan, you come home in your Honda Clarity, then instead of charging the car by plugging it in, you plug the car in to run the house..................

Makes sense to me. Battery is old hat. they are not efficient and are only as good as the weakest cell........................... A significant break through in battery technology is required - it does not appear to be imminent. Solid state is not making the step from the lab to mass production.............
Making some very bold statements there with no meaningful reasoning. How about explaining to us why you think a home fuel cell is the answer? Or the inherent advantages in running your house off a Honda Clarity? I'm not getting any of this at all.
Overflow. The Leaf has just been approved in Germany for this exact use.

https://apple.news/A5nGBHtPPQwWy3xK6MJuG2w
That's just a simple way of providing a 2-way grid-car connection. A Tesla Powerwall works in much the same way, taking strain off the grid at peak times. Nothing whatsover to do with fuel cells or actually providing power for your car.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I was watching Yes (Prime) MInister a few weeks ago and the sketch came up where they were discussing a smoking ban and the implications for tax reduction. Great sketch. Smoking related revenues are well down, fuel duty will be too - how else will we fill up that leaky bucket?
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀